1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grashopper 725d diesel or 729 gas

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Greener Results, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

wow... '93 is very old unit. We love our 2009 Diesel. Why would you even want to get 2 decks. I would hate changing them all the time. I would advise you to stick with what u got.

2. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

My original intent was to swap to a 52" unit and sell the 61". Now that I've used it without issue on all the yards I mow (too few...) I am not going to bother.

Why a '93...well it was all I could afford. Plus it was a one-owner unit from a farm in Indiana; 1830 hours when I bought it, in excellent condition. Even the paint & wiring is still good, not faded or cracked (wiring) and seems very soild and tight. The drives are very tight and touchy. In the end, since it was (a much smaller sum of money) and much more reliable with the diesle than my Briggs - engined Yazoo, I move up to it. Maybe one day I'll consider a newer one.

3. gmc06lbz

gmc06lbz LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

For pickup trucks I am usually a gas guy unless you have a really big load to tow. For tough mowing diesel wins hands down IMO though. I used to have a little diesel Yanmar with just 16 hp, and with a 42" 3 point mower it would hammer through tall grass that would kill a riding mower with a 25hp gas engine, all the while burning less than 1/2 gallon per hour.