1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

grass allergies ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MImowerkid, Aug 14, 2004.

1. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

I am sitting down after a days of mowing took a shower and my nose is just driving me crazy I am alergic to grass . The meds help but to only an extent, are their any other crazy guys out there like me who are allergic to grass? :eek:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had one worker where his kid was allergic to grass. So he always changed his clothes before coming home

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

im allergic to grass, its only bad when the grass is super dry. when its a little damp it doesnt bother me. its just that when its dry it gets up in the air and messes up my nose and head.

im also allergic to bees, if i get stung, off to the hospital i go.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I'm allergic to every grass except St. Augustine. But I think its the dust more than the grass that really gets me. I use Astelin and it has worked wonders for me. I doubt I'd be able to mow without it.

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

yep I am.. Sneezing all the time, usually only when its hot out though.. This season hasn't been too bad.

6. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

Terrible allergies. 2 hankies/yard or 2 yards to a box of Kleenex..

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Here is something that will help. It sounds crazy but it really works.

Take a small bit of crushed red pepper - cayenne pepper. Yes, the really hot stuff. Put a small amount (start really small until you get the hang of it) on your finger and snort it up your nose. Do this on both sides. At first, it will burn like crazy and you will need a bunch of kleenax but after you have been doing this a while, you will kind of get used to it and it won't bother you so much.

I recommend doing this in the shower or outside because it can get kind of messy. After a week or two of this - do it every day - you should notice a significant decrease in your allergies. I don't know exactly what the pepper is doing in there but whatever it is, it works.

I would caution you against snorting this stuff right out of the shaker. We are talking serious pain and a nosebleed here. Start small and work your way up.

Happy snorting! :)

8. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

Not so much the grass, but the pollen is terrible I have 2 allergy pills some flonase and nasal saline 4 times a day I didn't think the saline did anything but it really made a difference with me.