Grass around Pine Tree

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by spitfire3416, Sep 9, 2013.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard pine needles are acidic and can kill any grass underneath it, but what about around it? I have a lawn where a huge stretch of grass by their curb is just completely yellow. We've gotten record amounts rainfall this year so drought has nothing to do with it. The grass is about 6 feet from the edge of the tree so do you think this is why it's turning yellow?

2. johnnyb01

johnnyb01 LawnSite Member

grew up with over 100 pine trees in the front yard....never saw it slow the grass down :lol:

3. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

Maybe it is the pine needles and all the rain breaking them down faster than normal. Dog urine (which is acidic) causes grass to turn yellow....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

have you done a soil test and do you know what the various fungi look like? Excessive moisture can create a prime growing environment for fungi.

5. rootytalbot

rootytalbot LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar, puzzling, issue along the curb last year. It turned out that two old men - one driving and sitting on the tailgate - sprayed roundup for the HOA. They had some overspray and killed the grass along the curb. It grew back and the homeowner did not get upset, so all was good.