1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass as yellow as straw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & T, Apr 7, 2004.

1. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Yesterday I went out and bid on a residential. The property is 1/3 acre. The question I have is that on the south side of the house the grass is as yellow as straw. The area in question is about 1500 square feet in the open. It doesn't look like snow mold nor does it look like thatch, it's only 3 1/2 to 4 inches high. They have a small dog but it doesn't go on that side. I have a dog and now what urine stains look like.When I rake my hand across it, it comes loose but not like it would if it had been infested with grubs.
    What could have caused this? :confused: The rest of the lawn is truning green.
    I don't have pics, if I get the property I will take some and post it. I did do a search on this and found nothing that relates to my question.
  2. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

are you sure it isn't zoysia (sp?) grass? Will stay brown until late spring, is drought tolerate, doesn't grow in shady areas, very thick (suffocate's weeds).
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the very first things that I'd check is the water coverage and amount that is being applied to that area. Quite often the west sides of buildings can get pretty warm and therefore any turf in the area is prone to dry out more quickly. If you have a soil probe, take out a sample core, or at least dig down to see if the area is getting enough water to the roots.

Also, if this area was recently fertilized - especially with a quick release high nitrogen fertilizer and/or not applied correctly - and then water wasn't applied immediately or in amount, the grass could of gotten burned by the fetilizer. It will turn straw yellow. Make sure it gets water.
  4. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

If I get the bid I plan on getting the soil tested, the grass everywhere else is bluegrass and rye. We had a pretty good winter, the customer said it was green last year, even during the fall. The soil is moist and "looks" good as I dug down a little when I was there. I probably shouldn't dwell on the subject because I don't think I got the bid but it go my curiosity as to why it's that way. I have never seen it like that before.

Thanks anyways.

5. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

You might be right Critical Care, the last LCO might have applied the wrong fall application of fertilizer.
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

it could be bent grass, some of my customers have bent in there yards and they haven't bounced so to speak yet this year. i higly doubt it is zosia since zosia is a warm season turfgrass. I got some bent in my side yard i'll get a picture of it and post it. oh yea, check inside the brown to see if the crown is still alive.
  7. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Well I didn't get a call back from that bid...o'well, but I did score another commercial account today.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

More than likely Zoysia. I can'y recall seeing Bent at 3 1/2 - 4" tall. Zoysia can stand cold winters, it just takes longer to green up in the spring. I've seen it green up, only to have a late spring frost turn it brown and dormant again.