grass blowing from under the deck, Woods 6120

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ftgull, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ftgull

ftgull LawnSite Member

I have a Woods 61" deck with a disiel engine, when mowing a lot of grass blows out from under the left front of the deck. I just changed the blades hoping this wood help but it seems to be worse. These are regular lift blades, should i be using high lift, i will be bagging most lawns I cut.
  2. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Are you sure you have the correct blades and that they are installed correctly? I have an older 54". The blades have about 1/2" off-set that goes down. Make sure the deck is adjusted correctly too. The front should be about 1/4" lower than the rear. Mine used to blow some grass out of the back of the deck. I added a rubber strip and it works great now.

Forgot to mention;
    Make sure the underside of the deck is clean too. When mine gets loaded up, it tends to throw grass everywhere.
  3. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Top four problems:
    #1. Check tire PSI.
    #2. Check tire PSI.
    #3. Check tire PSI.
    #4. Check deck for both Pitch & Level.
    ALL four tires MUST be on a LEVEL surface.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My older Grasshoppers have the same kind of problem (almost the same mower). I called Grasshopper and they said to make sure deck is level. Also try a higher lift blade. I tried everything but nothing seems to help. It usually shoots grass out on the left when I stop and turn.
  5. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

If this occurs more when turning to the right, the left side is actually traveling faster, and cutting more grass that the right.

Plus more force is on the right side tires which makles them squat more. That can make the left side of a mower tilt upward ever so slightly...and push out grass.

Four more things to check:
    1. Level blades. If bent/twisted air flow is off.
    2. Belt conditiion. No glazing or burn spots.
    3. Pulley wear. If a belt goes into a pulley too deep, or there is uneven wear points....the belt doesn't 'release' or come out smooth...sticking. That make the pulley turn slower.
    Cast iron pulleys aren't as strong or durable in dusty conditions like some companies tell us.
    4. Blade wear. Rounded tips, Dull blades.
    Sharpend back to far,...if ANY blade reaches about 2/3's it's normal width from front to back, up to 50% of air flow is LOST!
    OR....OR.....the bottom edge isn't FLAT....FLAT.....FLAT....LOST air flow!
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I know what im going to tell you is about a scag, but like some one else posted, when my deck gets dirty underneath and the clippins cant flow to the discharge then they come out everywhere