1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Blowout

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harvestman, May 3, 2001.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Hey Guys I put double blades on my exmark lazer Z And the grass blowing out the front of the mower was horrible. I put gator blades on top and factory blades on the bottom. Any suggestions ? The stripping was great and it chopped up the grass wonderful. But the Blowout wow!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Do you have a mulching kit on this?

I have found if you slow down the rpm's a fuz it helps with leaves. I have also found out if I have this problem with grass, I have buildup under the deck and need to clean it out. It sounds like other than the blowing out the front, you like the doubles. If you can't figure out how to stop this, just figure out if the doubles are worth the blow out problem. To me, it doesn't sound like it is that much of a problem compared to the advantages. :)
  3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Eric, I had to take the doubles off of my mowers. The grass is super dry and the amount of dust and debris flying around was killing me. Doubles work good in normal weather, but in dry conditions they're too much.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

For leaves in the Fall I screwnail a 5" strip of carpet around the bottom of the deck on my Walker. It helps to stop the leaves from blowing out the front and sides, it should work for grass too. It only lasts a few weeks and has to be replaced but scrap carpet is cheap.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Instead of carpet,try an old tractor trailer mudflap,they are free,and will last for years,even if you buy one at Napa,they are only 8 bucks.I cut them in 5" strips,and screw it to the deck,it helps keep blowout from covering you with grass.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Doubles kick GRA$$. I just put them on my Toro 44"proline and cant believe the difference. Atomics in the cradle and hi lifts on the bottom. WOW. Sounds like an airplane and cuts twice as good as it used to. What little blowout ther is does not bother me.
    Eric's the man!
  7. linky

linky LawnSite Member

MOW ED
    I have the same mower and with doubles i find that the back of the discharge will suck the clippings into a small row. If i go over them again (to spread them out) it still leaves a small row. Do you have this problem? I mow fescue down to 2.75"-3.50". They do a great job though. I'm thinking of putting some kind of molding around the bottom of the deck (the back side of the discharge) to prevent the vacuum from sucking the clippings into that small row.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have only used the doubles on a few lawns that are growing like crazy and I am at the second pin on the deck. (2.5"). I haven't had any problem with what you described as of yet but I will know more in the next week as we are having real rapid growth because of all of the rain and relatively mild temps here. We have predominant Kentucky Blue of all strains mixed in are some varietys of red fescue and rye. The mower was purchased new in 1998 and it is the SFS deck. I appreciate the heads up on a potential concern. Take care.