1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass build-up under deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Sep 28, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I'm kinda new here so I don't know if anybodys used this trick but I discovered that when my deck is building up with wet grass (you know the noise it makes, and starts to cut crappy). Anyway, I usually pull over to a remote spot in the lawn and while the mower is running, bring the power back to almost idle. Like magic all the grass ejects itself from the deck. Power back up and keep on mowing!
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

It also helps to bounce it around a little to. It works best to not let it get built up though.
  3. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

spray PAM on the underside of the deck
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i usually just go to a corner with the blades running, and lift the deck up with the foot pedal, and drop it a few times. this loosens up any of the loose stuff and clumps less.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Turn off the clutch as well it really drops then.
  6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try MEG-MO blades since we invented this system 10 years ago, we have not cleaned a deck...and we are a custom lawn mowing business.
  7. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Yea, but how does having a low lift blade effect discharge and the ability to lift grass that's laying over. If you designed a blade that isn't pulling or creating lift, I question it's ability to discharge and perform properly. I would like to be proved wrong if you would like to send me a set for review?
  8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The MEG MO blades do have a very good lift to raise the grass but does not cause the grass to stick on the deck.
  9. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Well, now you have my attention. I emailed for a quote. We'll see what happens. I am stubborn...but not stupid:D
  10. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

I just got a set a Meg's for my Lazer, very good investment. You will need a OCDC because they blow the grass out twice as far as regular blades.
    Well worth the money. Mowed over 50 accounts with no need to sharpen yet. Deck is real clean.