Grass build up under deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWE, Jul 21, 2004.

1. MWE

MWE LawnSite Member
    from NC

Does anyone have any tips as to how to keep grass from building up under the mowing deck.

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good question, I've seen & heard some advice but nothing has worked so far other then cleaning them after every lawn.

3. bhoffman

bhoffman LawnSite Member

I've had some luck with Slip plate that they sell at tractor supply co. stores. Put about 3 coats on the underside and it helps to keep it clean. It doesn't seem to help with wet grass though

4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine who is a small engine repairman says to clean it real good and spray it down with WD-40

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well first off I have heard of a spray that is meant to help with grass build up but can not remember what it was called or if it worked.
    Now with that said I have a story to tell you that has been going around for years at the update schools. This woman takes her riding mower to the shop and she is mad as hell. She tell the service techs" I just bought this lawn mower a month ago and the asbestos coating is already coming off the deck!". The service techs can not understand what she is talking about so they go look at her mower. What is coming off the deck is dead grass which she thanks is some king of coating. I would hate to have been the one to try to tell her different.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a mower with a stamped deck.

I have an exmark metro, cuts like a demon, accumulates clippings the same way. My Deere L110 is not much of a mower for this kind of use, but the deck is stamped and does not accumulate like the exmark.

My first zero may well be a Deere 'cause the decks are stamped.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Bad idea....

I had heard this many times over. So I decided to try it. What a mistake. I thought it was working until the end of the day. But I still had stuff to scrape. The real nightmare began as I was trying to remove that last thin layer of hard buildup. Freaking impossible to get off!!! It was like it formed some sort of bond. I never did get it all off. So each time I scraped I tryed to make sure I did it while it was still wet and pecked away more and more at that thin layer until eventually it was gone.

I will NEVER put WD-40 under my deck again...EVER!!!

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just about to try wd-40 glad i read this whole thread :rolleyes: ...Guess i just keep scraping away

9. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

I bet you are talking about Mo-Deck. DO NOT BUY THAT STUFF! It is a waste of money. I bought two cans sprayed it on and let in dry before I recoated it as the dir. stated. About a day after when I went to use the mower that fricken grass was so thick underneath the deck it was aweful. It looked like I mowed at least 20 lawns at not cleaned the deck. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

10. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Thread reminded me of something that happened to me a few yrs back.

I had some grass accumulate on TOP of the deck...nothing unusual...it happens. Well, evidently, there was a little grease or oil mixed in with the grass and it contacted the exhaust...and the whole thing caught on fire!

I'm riding around the lawn like evil kneevil...my mower on fire and me screeming at one of my guys to grab a hose and spray it before the whole thing explodes!

He gets a hose and starts spraying water on it...and it comes off in firey, oily clumps... and then the freakin' grass starts burning! We get it out, and find out we have a small audience along the street watching us.

Well, mower still works fine...and a coupla sod patches fixed the grass. I now clean my mowers more regurely, and blow them off after ever lawn.

Another small lesson learned :)

Nothing to do with grass "under" the deck...but, I got all these damn stories....