Grass Catcher for my ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gamartin88, Jun 11, 2005.

1. gamartin88

gamartin88 LawnSite Member

This season I'm maintaining several yards that are all bermuda grass. I've never really had a lot of bermuda to cut before and have never really needed to bag any yards. Occasionally I'd have to cut one direction and blow some stuff away but there's simply too much grass left on these bermuda yards and I'm getting complaints. Anyways, I'm pretty small time(only cut yards for extra money in the evenings and weekends) so I don't want to spend upwards of a grand on a rear bagging unit which is made for my County Clipper mower. I'm looking at these three model side units: Accelerator, Grass Gobler, and a barrel type unit I found online but can't seem to find it's brand name. Here are the sites I'm looking at....

Barrel unit
    Grass Gobbler
    Accelerator

I've used a grass gobbler before a long time ago on a Ferris walk behind. Seemed to do it's job pretty well and it was sturdy but also heavy as hell. The accelerator seems to be the unit of choice on here when I've done some research(but then they are also a sponser for this site) but the price really makes me wonder if it's worth it for a guy who isn't doing this all day everyday. I can't seem to find it for under 500 bucks around me. I'm looking for sub 400 at the most. The other unit also looks pretty good for the price but it kind of looks like it's plastic or something....don't want to pay 200 bucks for something that will break in the trailer first time it falls or busts up when I accidently run it into a tree or something while it's on the mower.

Anyhow, all suggestions are welcome. I do understand you get what you pay for but I don't want to purchase something that takes me working for the next month to make the money it costs. Thanks.
    BTW, here's the mower it's going on.
    [​IMG]

2. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

Funny, we posted a similar question at near the same time. I have seen all the units you have listed and am at a loss also. I have looked more into the metal type catchers for my Ferris 1500 and you may want to check Ebay. I have seen them listed for under 200. Granted they don't hold much. Let me know what you come up with and I'll be watching your thread also.

3. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know if they make a "universal" bagger or not. Only had experience with a Cub Cadet. Put a bagger on it and it was held up quite well. First year used it probably 100 hours, last 2 years have used it about 2 hours a week. My only advice would be to get one that is easy to take off and put back on. You don't want to have to go back to the shop to dismantle it. I sometimes save a trip back to get the bigger mower by just taking the bagger off and doing the next yard with it. Yeah I know I need a bigger trailer, but then would need a bigger truck. Good luck with that bermuda!

4. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

gamartin,
    I noticed your post here about a catcher for your country clipper. I would be interested to know where you were quoted $500.00 for one of our catchers? The XL unit is $500.00, but our regular size (comparable to a jumbo gobbler or other catcher) is $359.00 list. You can see it mounted on a clipper here:
    http://www.acceleratorindustries.com/mower models/country.htm
    The part number is GCCC. Give me a call if you are having trouble finding a dealer or have any interest in our catcher.

5. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I have two accelerators. One for my 36 in walk behind and one for my 44 inch Hustler ZTR. They are pretty hardy, clean up easy and are easy to take on and off. I'm sold on them.

6. gamartin88

Would it be possible for you to find me a dealer in my area. My area code if 30620. It's been over a year since I checked on one of the acclerators. If I can get one for about $300 I'll pick it up this week. Thanks.

7. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

We don't have a zip code locator on our website. We simply list all the dealers in a given state by city. Here is a listing of our GA dealers by city:
    http://www.acceleratorindustries.com/state lists/GA.htm
    Any of our dealers can get this catcher. The price may vary a bit from dealer to dealer. As far as getting one for $300.00 you would have to talk to the individual dealer to get the price. All our 4.15 standard catchers are the same price to the dealer, so even if the dealer is not familar with this particualar model he should be able to still give you a quote.

8. gamartin88

Thanks. After looking at that list I remember which shop quoted me $500....it was Stephen's Repair in Loganville, GA. Maybe they were quoting me on the XL unit, I can't remember at this point. At any rate, I plan to check a few of the dealers that are around me and see what kind of prices I can get quoted. I really appreciate your help. Hopefully will get one of your catchers this week.
    Do you know if the same unit pictured on that walk behind CC is the model for my mower? Your site only lilsts that one catcher for all county clipper models.

9. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

I am possibly selling an accelerator bagger if anyone is interested.

Stelio

10. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

I believe our catcher for the country clipper fits all their side discharge models. So the one that you see on our webpage would be the same for your mower. let me know if you order from a local dealer and I will make sure the unit gets shipped promply to him.