Grass Catcher Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by steve45, Nov 1, 2005.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just installed a grass catcher on my Scag Tiger Cub. I'm having the same problem that I had with my Dixon, namely, the bag on the left side fills to overflowing while the bag on the right hardly catches anything. I was hoping for better performance from the Scag. I'm tempted to try modifying the discharge duct, but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem before I butcher it. My neighbor's Craftsman has the same problem.

Our grass is very dry. I'm wondering if wetter grass tends to fill more evenly. Any thoughts???

Thanks!

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It's supposed to fill like that... If it filled the right side up, the side the chute comes in on, it would clog before it ever had the catcher completely filled... Once the left bag is full it fills the right. My Dixon fills so full with leaves, and sometimes grass, that I can dump 3 bags out of the 2 bag catcher due to all that is held in the lid of the catcher above the bags. Yeah, it takes a bit longer to dump, but it's still better than driving back and forth to the truck that 1/3 more often!

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

oh, yes.... how i miss that grass catching system ever since switching to walker. back on the trailer, lift back lid, dump hopper, jump back on mower, pull down hopper and lid while driving off trailer. 30 secs! :p