grass catcher weight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rpoe, Mar 20, 2001.

1. rpoe

rpoe LawnSite Member

I just bought a Dixon 7025 Commercial mower. 25 hp, 60" cut. I've lurked here for a month and have sure learned a lot. Was ready to buy an exmark or DC but the Dixon dealer is local and had a great deal (6500). Also, I'm not a commercial cutter, just a homeowner with an outrageous 9 acre yard. So far I've been extremely pleased with the handling and the cut. It made 4inch layers of leaves disappear with the mulching system. Had I taken possession and mulched leaves before I bought the package, i wouldn't have done this, but I've purchased the metal, mounted grass catcher. My dealer has it and my mower now installing it. It weighs (with counter weights) about 325 lbs!!! I'm a big ole boy (250). Can a ZTR support his much weight? Is this typical? I was floored when I saw how much it weighed. Also, a little disappointed because I planned to remove it, leave it in the garage, and only use it a few times a year. I figure it's gonna be more permanent. I can disconnect it easily and side discharge but I can't remove it from the mower without a crane and a better man than me. Just curious to know how much similar catchers weigh. Thanks. AND thanks for all the great info, it's been a real pleasure to read this board.