grass catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuckers, May 29, 2004.

1. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

what would you say is the best type of grass catcher... i am thinking about buying one for spring clean up next year

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what is it for walkbehind or ZTR?

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Scag walkbehind 36 and 48

4. i catch grass very little when i do we have used grass gobbler jumbo's on my scags ...accelerators get good reviews here on lawnsite to.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

well you can go with the metal baggers, or the clothe baggers.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I wore out two grass Gobblers and just went to Accelerator standard size, much better catcher IMO in many ways.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a Grass Packer for my 36" Exmark Metro. It is a poly catcher that holds 4.4 bu. of grass. I had been using Grass Gobbler but their short lifespan of only 3 years led me to look for something else. I really didn't give the Accelerator any consideration because they are made of aluminum and the fertilizer in and on grass would probably eat at the aluminum pretty quickly. The last thing I want to have to do everyday is come home and wash out a grass catcher.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Grassgobbler. I have currently have 3 jumbos, 1 turbo ten and 2 leavegobblers. As with every thing else wright makes they were the first. Bill Wright got tired of the cloth catchers riping. So he when out and built his own metal ones. He would have his guys cut grass during summer and built catchers during winter.

I have had in the past plastic and cloth catchers with the large metal mounting plates. I would not recommend them. They are a pain, Plus prevent you from getting through gates. Since they add an extra 2" to the width. I had a grass packer, it came with an used Ferris I bought. It wore through so I replaced it with a grassgobbler. I have had one for 5 years. The rest for 3 years or less. Never had a problem with them. Other people do when they smash them into stuff. I have seen some really beat up ones. Anybody can fix them with a welder, since they are steel. Very few people can fix aluminum catchers. I can since my Miller 210 welder has a Aluminum spool gun. I have fixed a buddy's of mines Accelerator since I can weld aluminum . Other wise your paying the welding shop $75 an hour to fix it.

9. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Accelerator for my Exmark 36".
    Like it very much, only catcher I have used.
    Packs very, very well. Well built, but a bit pricey.

Get the XL size!!

10. PeterA

PeterA Sponsor

Richard,
    I saw in your post that you were worried about the effect of fertilizer on aluminum. I have never heard anyone complain about that particular problem with our catchers. the oxide layer that aluminum develops is very impervious to corrosion by just about anything. Of course, this is also true of your plastic catchers.