Grass Catchers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkru, Feb 7, 2001.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have talked about mulching vs. bagging. So here's my question:

If you bag what materials are they made of?? steel, platic bottom w/cloth bag, mesh sides?? And is it an e-z dumper or rear door set up??

Thanks for your input.
  2. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

Mine is a mesh bag, plastic bottom, doesn't hold much (5 bushel),and will dust you out. It does pick up really well, sit's on the side, and only takes 5 seconds to attach and 5 seconds to dump. Work's good for trash in ditches. I try not to bag. Next year for leaves I will own something larger. All in all, it is worth owning though just for the trash.
  3. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Grass Gobblers all the way.
  4. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

Gotta go with the cloth bag. It holds a lot and is a lot lighter than the metal bags and is easier to take off mower, empty, and put back on. I used metal bags for years and will never go back.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

44 Gallon trash can, comes standard with the TRAC-VAC. Looks funny but holds quite a bit!
  6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

that's funny, I'm the opposite. I used cloth bags for a couple of years before switching to metal.

My complaint with cloth was not the bag, but the metal back that always seemed to catch the turf when going over uneven ground. the grass gobbler is not that much heavier and I think it's more durable.

That's just my opinion.

Hey Ryan -- Go CSU!
  7. ETturfman

ETturfman LawnSite Member

I use an Accelerator grass catcher that's aluminum and it works great. Easy on and off. I use the standard size but a friend of mine just bought the extra large capacity size and he says it's fantastic. I use a Honda 36" WB.

8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I use, it dumps very easily with the back plate removing. Realitively light, but heavy duty, and holds alot. I do apply a coat of paint now and again to keep it in good condition, preventing rust.
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We are contemplating replacing the dump style, metal catchers that we are currently using in the spring and fall.
    I did like the accelerators. I believe those were 1 of the 4 in the turfhq forum. We too have experienced the divots that the "plates" leave in the ground from uneven terrain and are looking for a better design.

10. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I use the accelator on my emark wb. It is like the gobbler. The gobber was not made for the 99 48 wb. Open the back and dump. very easy.