Grass Clippings and Leaves??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACutAbovesiny, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I have a little problem...
    Up until now I haven't had a problem with grass clippings. I usually bag them up and leave them by the customers curbside. The problem now is that I just aquired a large commercial account (first one) and I need to haul the clippings. I operate in Staten Island, NY which is known for there landfill. Well, it was closed a few years back and now I can't find anywhere to dump all the clippings. I've called the dept of sanitation and they said they wont pick up commercial waste so then I called a waste removal company and they told me they cant pick up "green" material...grass and such. So this is my problem. I'm a member of my local chamber of commerce but they have been little help. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see your problem in that area of the country. Do you have an area you could use to make your own compost and mulch ?

If you do you can make a little money off the grass you haul off rather than pay someone to dump it.

Just an idea.

3. ACutAbovesiny

I wish I did have some extra space.This has been driving me nuts. Where are others from my area bringing their stuff
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like some others in your area are having the same problem (or had it) and are not telling where they are getting rid of the grass and leaves.
  5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

If your really in a pickle,Generated materials in Edison NJ on Meadow rd. I 'd say no more than a half hour drive from the Outerbridge crossing? I think they charge about $10 a yard for grass since I dont bag anymore and I know for a fact $8 a yard for brush. I would stop and talk to a local guy with a full load of grass and see where they dump.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't BFI run a business in your area? Every commericial property we mow has trash dumpsters. The main reason everybody mulches in our area is no more dumping.
  7. ACutAbovesiny

Thanks alot prizeprop...I will def look into this placein edison. not too far at all.
  8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I dump all of my grass and leaves at a dump in Clarkstown, NY...costs like $65/ton for "green" material. For grass-I fill up my barells, and when all 6 are full (usually every other day), I take them up to the dump. For leaves-when my trailer (with sides) is totally full (usually once or twice a day if I can get in 2 trips to the dump after School), I take it to the dump and pitch-fork it out...takes about 10 well for now. I don't know of any dumps any closer to you...I was in the same boat until I found this dump in Clarkstown, NY. :usflag:
  9. ACutAbovesiny

Thanks for the info mkwl...I wish I were alittle closer to there but thats kinda far. Appreciate it thought...I'm sure theres something closer.
  10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Put a mulch kit on your mower and be done with it.