1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Clippings Blow into Landscape Beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLC LLC, May 14, 2008.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

We run Ferris equipment only, and we are having problems keeping grass out of landscape beds with the rain and extensive growth. Does anyone have any suggestions in regulating this? I know there are the discharge chute blocks, but then we will run into the clumping issue. Is there anything else?
  2. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

how about use a bagger when needed?
  3. SLC  LLC

We do have a bagger, but those things get extremely heavy after awhile. I guess I need to rephrase and say that this is a common occurrence right now. Have quite a few tight lawns with large landscapes. Bagging would be an option, but with the bagging system that we have - we would get exhausted real quick.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I blow away from the beds as much as possible and often lower my rpms and slow down as I pass the bed when discharging in that direction. What little gets in the beds can be gently feathered out with the blower . But yes I would eventually like to get a power chute or the equivalent.
  5. SLC  LLC

what is the power chute?
  6. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

I am not sure what he means by a power chute, but i cut a couple of strips with the mulching walk behind mower near the bed or border then use the ZTR. Or I try to orientate the mower so the clippings blow the other way away from the obstacle. you could try getting some low lift blades or try to adjust the baffle to decrease discharge. :waving:
  7. Power Chute Design

Power Chute Design LawnSite Senior Member

I sell the only powered operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC) made. You'll see a Ferris model in the lineup also on my website and on the Product Images page you can see several photos of the Ferris model mounted on an IS mower deck. I've used the same Power CHute on my mower for 5 years now with great results. The same motor and foot pedal as well.

As far as the grass clumping issue you bring up...there is very little of that actually. Right now in the springtime, with the grass thick with internal moisture, is when it is the worse and even with that there is very little. You'll see an occasional dashed line of clippings. But, the last page of the installation instuctions sheet shows how to use the Power Chute so there is no grass left showing. Anything that is there is blown out in the lawn with all the other clippings.

Let me know if you have any other questions...Norm
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We work in urban environment and we simply put the outlet blocker on and leave it on all year. It saves a lot of time because you never have to worry about throwing grass on street, sidewalks, beds, etcl. You can drive in any direction to get er done. Sometimes might have to double cut but not a problem.