1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

grass clippings in flower beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMORRIS106, Jun 7, 2005.

1. BMORRIS106

BMORRIS106 LawnSite Member

have a scag tiger and jd walkbehinds,people arecomplaining about grass in there mulch beds .how do you guys keep from these. thanks for the help

2. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

use your blower and blow them out, there is a trigger on the thing for a reason, so lower your air speed and blow the beds out without blowing the mulch out. or get a blade blocker.

3. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

whats a blade blocker?

4. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

one thing-ocdc

5. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

Same question,I had a customer complain about this the other day,have found the best method is to blow them out with a blower at low speeds,as said before.

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Mulching kit on the mower keeps out the clippings.

7. Dashunde

I'm seriously considering a mulch kit, but how much does it slow your average 48" down?
    I've got one of those Toro 21" mulchers, it does a nice job but the tall stuff will choke it quick.

8. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I haven't really had cust complain yet, but I know what you mean. Really it bugs the hell out of me more than anything. My company is my livelihood so I like to make sure things are looking good when I leave. I've been thinking of getting an ocdc but not real sure of the differences or good brands. Any suggestions?

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a mulching kit on my Toro 36 wb...15hp kohler.. I mow nearly all of my accounts weekly..so even if its wet (which lately it never is in this frickin dust bowl state) it wont bog down. Now if you're cutting really tall stuff that is wet, then you will have to slow down and worse case scenario, maybe double cut.

10. Dashunde

There are alot of Ferris' around here using this solution....

They take a piece of that expanded metal grate stuff (used on our trailer ramps) and weld a small chunk of it into the discharge chute.
    It will let air out so that you get a good cut, but it blocks most of the grass.
    Flip your chute down when around beds, flip up when out in the open.