Grass clippings in flower beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CurbAppealCounts, Aug 23, 2007.

1. CurbAppealCounts

CurbAppealCounts LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have a yard that is Bermuda and my guys have been blowing clippings into the flower beds. The customer is concerned that the clippings will seed in the beds. We do spot spray, but what are the chances this will become a real problem?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say there is a fair chance of germination if there are active seed shoots growing. that and the fact that it just looks horrible with clippings blown in the beds.

3. CurbAppealCounts

CurbAppealCounts LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Yeah, we had to have a talk about this one.

4. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

Time to bag it.

5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Get you guys to stop blowing the bermuda clippings in the beds.Some of them with seeds head will eventually germinate. Additionally, try to upsell the customer on a pre-emergent like Preen for the beds.

6. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We just had a customer complaint about that. If you can't bag, blow the clippings back into the yard. It looks bad. Plus, go with a pre-emergent like was mentioned.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what are the chances it becomes a problem???? Dude it has already become a problem, when ever you have paying customers calling you with complaints you have a problem. stop blowing crap in her beds tell your guys..... duh problem solved apologize to your customer and reassure her it will not happen again.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

depending on what your using to cut with,,,I'de say get an easy chute

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, it already has become a problem. Wether the grass germinates or not, it has upset your customer and I'm sure you have already talked to your crew regarding the proper way to disperse clippings (lawncare 101?).

Back to your upset customer. If the beds are mulched, go ahead and touch up with some fresh mulch (cheap remedy) and apologize to the customer.

Best of luck.

:waving: