Grass Clippings? leave them in the street or clean them up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Picman, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Picman

Picman LawnSite Member

Im new in the business this season and most of my customers dont pay to have their grass bagged. But if it gets high sometimes theres a small amount of grass left in the street. Some customers dont care but some of my annoying ones complain about it. Should I give in and just do it or no?
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

In some areas it's illegal to just leave it and you or customer can get a ticket. Besides it looks really unprofessional to just blow it out into the street and reflects bad on your work. Maybe invest in a closure for your discharge chute? There are several companies as sponsors on here that do that.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Of course you don't leave them in the street! That is something a professional LCO would never even think about doing. You simply blow them back into the yard and if you have a Redmax 7001 as listed that is a "breeze" of a job for you to do.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Do we really have to answer this :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    If you have all that equipment you list, and have customers (i assume enough to justify the equipment), why are you even asking a question like this? I rarely land on someone for a dumb post, but thats kinda stupid question in my honest opinion. Just curious- why did you buy that backpack blower for? do you only use it for leaves or what? Don't you blow off sidewalks, driveways and flower beds (if needed) when you're done mowing, to clear off all accumulated debris (clippings, dirt, leaves etc)???

If I really have to answer your question: YES OF COURSE BLOW OFF THE CLIPPINGS!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have nothing more to add....really, how long would it take to blow the curb with that 7001? 5 seconds??......... :dizzy:
  6. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

with a black and decker it would take 10 seconds even a broom would take 30 seconds. just dont leave it on the street
  7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Kind of getting jumped on for this post huh? LOL! Don't worry about it, they'll get over it, well, maybe. However, they are right...always blow the clippings back into the yard just as you would around the driveway or sidewalk. Hard to believe but some areas it may not be a concern and in fact an excepted practice of blowing the clippings into the street. That's the way it is here and maybe the deal in your area. I wish I had a .05 for every time I've seen LCO's around here blowing the clippings into the street or letting them fly from the discharge chute onto the street and not cleaning them up later. They tend to do the same thing with snow, if they have to push snow across the street for whatever reason, they'll leave a good amount in the street. Not cool. :nono:

But whatever the case, like the guys say it's unprofessional to leave them on the street, driveway, or sidewalk. Tidy up and good luck.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

its your job. clean all areas: sidewalks, drives, curb and front roadways
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on your local laws it can be illegal to leave grass in the street. Even if it is not illegal it makes the property look like crap if you don’t clean it up. However you should not do this cleanup without being paid. It should be included in your current service package/pricing plan for each customer.

10. lawncutr

lawncutr LawnSite Member

I say blow all that trash in the street and let the cars and all the oil and rubber take care of it...or blow it in the gutter drain...just long as you are in no danger of getting clipped by a car (don't walk in a busy street), try and LIGHTLY blow the grass into the yard (if you open you big bad blower, all the rocks and nails will go straight into the yard causing headaches like flat tires, rocks in your face when you trim and duller blades) sure to mow over all that trash to make it disappear into the lawn.