Grass clippings??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bristrew, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Bristrew

Bristrew LawnSite Member

Do most of you let your grass clipping fall or bag 'em? If you bag 'em, are there places where they can be disposed of for free?
    Thanks.

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

don't bag, but there is always somewhere to dispose of yard waste for free if you look hard enough.

3. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

the only way i will bag is if someone is going to pay me for it....dont bag unless ur making money on it

4. FIVE-0LAWNS

FIVE-0LAWNS LawnSite Member

Our landfill takes yard waste for free if you are a town resident. The best part is they then run it through a grinder and flip it every few months and about a year later we have free mulch. Great system that is good for everyone. :drinkup:

5. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

my local stihl/ lawn and garden supply store lets me dump all i want for free.. well at the cost of me buying supplies and stihl equipment there:clapping:
    i hate bagging lawns but i dont understand how to not do it?

6. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I bag almost all my lawns . But our local landfill takes green waste for free.
    I'd hate to pay since they charge $40.00 a ton for commercial waste.

7. E&MLandscapeServices

E&MLandscapeServices LawnSite Member

We leave the clippings - the mowing section of my Residential Mowing/Maintenance Contract includes the following clause:

"Clippings will be left on the lawn as long as no readily visible clumps remain on the grass surface 36 hours after mowing. Otherwise, large clumps of clippings will be distributed by mechanical blowing or collected and removed by the contractor. In the case of fungal disease outbreaks, clippings will be collected until the disease is undetectable."

(I got a sample contract from this site - or a link on this site - and modified for my business. So far, I have done well with having clients sign an annual maintenance contact - all 15 of them. :cool2: )

8. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

I leave them, its good for the grass, and easier.

9. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

we leave the clippings. What works for us is blowing the yeard reall quick after mowing if it clumps up too much. this spreads it out and forces some of it down into the turf making it less visible. clippings are good for the lawn if they are short.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is very simple: You don't bag because it is not something you do.
    If they insist, ok, thank you (and walk away) - You don't bag.

I have (hehehe) ZERO BAGGERS this year whew it took a long time.