grass clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by super.dave, Jul 25, 2002.

1. super.dave

super.dave LawnSite Member

I am new to the lawnsite website. I mow about 4 or 5 neighborhood yards part time with a 32" Toro single blade gear drive. I got tired of muscling this mower to get it to go back on the next cut. I now have purchased a used 36" hydro Cub Commercial 15hp Kawi, it looks the same as a Lesco. I do have a problem with the grass clippings and how they are dispersed. If the grass is a little bit long or thick it seems to leave a trail of clippings out the back in a neat little row. This has happened with standard blades or with Gator blades. In trying to figure out what is going on I tried mowing only with the left blade and it worked fine, but when I mowed using the right blade only that's when it would happen. I don't have anything blocking the discharge chute, and I have looked under the deck and don't see anything missing or damaged. The blade height is set at about 2 and 3/4 inches, I have tried it lower but no help. The Cub Cadet mower is only 2 years old and only about 60 hours in the hour meter.
    If anyone has ever heard of this or had any experience with this I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks super.dave
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: dave sounds like the deck pitch is off a little bit, deck sould have a 1/4 inch pitch toward the front casters problem sould go away. tony
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a simmilar problem with my 36" Lesco. when the growth got a little heavy. It wemed worse in higher humidity to.

I tried gators , better.
    I tried gators over standard, better yet,
    gators over high lifts , same , but pulled motor down too much,

Finaly Doubles with , gators on top , standard on the bottom of the left spidle, and high lift on the bottom of the discharge spidle.

I haven't tried the stndard and high lift combo just single without the gators as doubles,yet.

Now I almost never get a trail of clippings , almost.

Make sure the belt if tight.
    Make sure the blades line up level with eachother, mine were about an eight inch off.
    Make sure the deck is somewhat clean.
    Make sure the deck pitch is right.

What spacer combo are you using?
    I've got two below with double bladesand two above on the deck, and two below and two above on the front wheels.
    This gives me about 3.25" cutting hieght.

Funny but I never noticed a problem until about june this year, and I've been using my mower since Sept last year.
  4. super.dave

The spacer combo is 3 above the blade and 1 on top, and the front caster has 1 below and 3 above. According to the manual that Cub Commercial sent this should be at about 2 3/4 inches. When I measure the front tip of the blade from the garage floor it is about 2 and 3/4 inches the back tip of the blade measures about 3 1/8 inches. I have never measured the the left blade, unable to reach across the deck through discharge chute. The deck is fairly clean, I check the deck every time I finish mowing and try to scrap and wash every weekend. I have noticed when the grass is dry it seems to be much better, but this year has been wet and some times it rains at lunch time and I am mowing that afternoon, wet or not.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of blades do you have??
    Try gators by themselves or as doubles.
    If you have some high lift blades try one on the right side and a standard on the left, either by themselves or as doubles with the gators.

This highlift/standard combo is what made the difference for me.
    somthing about creating a little more Vacume at the discharge to pull the grass through.

BTW My machine is a 14hp gear drive but the deck should be the same as yours.

also to check blade alignment, just tip the machine up and look under the deck bring the tips of the blades together in the middle and you can see if one is higher than the other.

hope this helps.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a shield over the discharge chute, you might want to try using the mower without it.
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Super Dave,

You said the mower was used right??

Did you check the underside of the deck to see if the baffels were intact. I had a machine that saw a lot of use, and after time the grass, debris, etc. wore a large hole through the baffle that encompasses the blade. I had to weld some new steel to the outside of the baffle to resolve the problem.

8. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Take off the discharge chute, make sure the blades are sharp and that you are not going to fast. Make sure you don't blow the grass clippings in the mulch beds. Hope this helps. Let us know if this helps. :)
  9. super.dave

The Cub commercial hydro is used but it only has about 60 hours on it. The discharge chute has been removed. The blade tips when placed together are the same. The blades I was using were Gator blades and the trail of clippings was horrible. When I installed new standard blades from a Cub cadet dealer the problem lessened but did not disappear. I will have to go to a Lesco dealer to buy a high lift blade my Cub dealer did not have any.

Could someone please explain how the double blade setup works? Are the blades spinning directly above each other or at 90 degrees? How many spacers do you put in between the two blades? I assume the top blades are the gator blades so the clippings coming out of the chute are smaller.

Thanks for your help

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I can tell you is that you have too much forward pitch on that deck. Especially being only a 36, it can't be that long (from front to back) and you have 3/8" rake. Your rake should only be between 1/8 to 1/4". At your setting, it's up to 50% too much. Either the back of the deck has to come down, or the front of the deck has to come up a bit. Like was said before, on PERFECTLY FLAT concrete, set the blades so they are pointed straight front to back, measure the height of the front TIP of the blade, and the rear tip of the blade. This should only have the 1/8 to 14" difference. As far as doubles go, there are 100's of threads on here regarding them, and I'm sure someone with a mower just like yours (yes, Lesco IS the same machine, they just switched decks two years ago) can assist you. they are placed right on top of one another at a 90 degree angle. I hope this helps. Also, like was said earlier, DEFinitely check your belts! They may look alright, but can STILL be wore or in need of adusting if that's possible.