Grass Clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, May 28, 2003.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you had customers complaining about the amout of clippings in their yard ?
    Here in Pa. its been raining about every day for the past 3-1/2 weeks and the grass is going nuts.
    I had a customer today complain and I told her it would be 50% more to bag the grass and dispose of.
    She said the guy who mowed her last year bagged it every cut for 15 measily bucks.
    I explained if she wasn't happy with my cut ,maybe she should give thay guy a call.
    Everything I cut now is side discharge or 50% more if they want bagged.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you're in the same boat I am right now too, one of my customers is ontop of a little hill so it gets TONS of sunshine (when its not raining 24/7 like the past couple weeks). I've been cutting it every 3-4 days, its growing out of control, i had to double over everything yesterday with one of them sweeper carts just to get the clippings up, its a big lot and there isn't a good way to double cut the lawn without spending another hour on the machine. He said he wants it swept everytime and i said its more work and the price will reflect that. He just kinda stared at me like i was inflating the price for no reason. I was looking at a bagger option for a gravely 260Z (which i hope will be my next machine) and its $2-2.5k according to the dealer. I guess I'd better find some lots that want their clippings removed.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, we bag 95% of our accounts. Yes, we charge accordingly. :D

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

L&G Guy, did you double cut to help chop up the clippings?

As much as I hate to do it, I've had to double cut more then I want to this year because of all the rain.
    Fortunately, I usually only have to do parts of yards, not the whole thing.

5. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

GOGETTER Don't it clump up in your deck and end up spewing gummy balls of grass into the yard when you double cut ? then you have too go back over with a backpack to try and disperse them.
    I have tried this and it doesn't seem to work for me.
    That customer I was referring too doesn't even like to get grass on her feet.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Not really. I mow the second pass in the opposite direction. This chops and disperses the clippings pretty good.

For example, I picked up a new lawn two weeks ago. It's fertilized by one of the big spraying companies (truegreen or the like), so it grows like crazy! The first week I cut it, there were a ton of clippings all over. So I threw the bagger on and went over it again and collected it all.
    That sucked! Filled my truck bed.

So on the next visit (last week), I just double cut it and it looked fine. It probably took the same amount of time as when I bagged it (had to empty bag so many times!), but at least I didn't have a truck full of clippings to deal with at the end of the day.

I can't wait until next year when I have my app license. I won't be taking on anymore lawns treated by the big guys! Can't deal with the unnecessary excessive growth.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have anyone complaining about clippings on their lawns and we've had a good 5" of rain this month.

If she doesn't like to get clippings on her feet, I'd suggest she wear shoes. :D

Seriously, what kind of mower are you using? With a little more info I may be able to help.

8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I bag everything here ! It is just done that way and everyone expects you to bag it ! I don't own a mulch kit even !

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Why would You spend 2500 Dollars For a Bagger thats Small and Doesn't Work Well In Wet When You Can spend 1700 Dollars For One Thats 13.5 Bushels And Does Good In wet.

lazerbag500res.jpg

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i dont use doubles as much as i use to. but its a real help in grass dispersment.
    spreads it better and cuts it up finer.