1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass clippings

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by seasonal services, May 23, 2004.

1. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

what do you guys do with your grass clippings at the the end of the day. I have been just bagging them and letting the garbage men take it or throwing them in my garden. There getting to be a pain to get rid of. I dont want to take them to the landfill because i think they will charge me to dump it. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or could tell me what they do.
  2. Joe25

Joe25 LawnSite Member

I was fortunate last year to be able to dump on private property in the woods, not the case this year. Some of my customers allow me to dump on site. Some have their own compost piles. Otherwise I go to a local mulch company who accepts the clippings and debris for a fee of course.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't bag and you won't have the clippings! If you do bag, charge more for your time and also to dispose of them at the landfill.
  4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

In most areas it's actually not allowed to dump lawn debris in the landfill. I highly suggest you mulch or discharge instead of bagging. Grass clippings are an important source of fertilization to the yard.

5. Blades & Spades

Blades & Spades LawnSite Member

I throw all the grass clippings on the compost heap, and use the compost to provide "an extra service". Costs a little time, but it goes a long way for customer relations. Of course it depends how many yards you're doing as to what space you need.
  6. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bring the grass clippings back home to make compost. Customer love the compost on there lawns and flower/bush bed area's.
  7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch the grass whenever possible and just charge extra if they want it bagged, this way it covers the dumping fee the landfill will charge you.