Grass clumping problem

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by huntw11871, Jun 10, 2008.

1. huntw11871

huntw11871 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Mini Z 52in Model#927236..Ser#05091658

I am using 795526 blades and a high lift on the discharge side.

I have problems with the grass clumping on me. The grass is getting stuck in the cutting deck really bad sometimes also. I don't know if I should change blades or what? The tall stiff weeds are not being cut like they should. They are left tall or bent over. I have to go over twice or really slow to get a good looking cut. Is that due to lack of vacuum in the deck? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I was at Right of Way Equipment when you called in, I think we have you on the right track.

Pj

3. huntw11871

from NC

I didn't know that I was talking to the Man yesterday!! I have read lots of your posts. Thanks for all your help. I am still waiting on a call from Dan on the pics of the deck?.. I hope to hear from him today or I will call him later on this afternoon to make sure he got the pics..

4. zoodski

zoodski LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I bought a demo 07 fastrak 54/20 and I have a lot of clumping issues also. Dealer put new blades on it when I bought it, and I clean the deck before I mow. It gets built right back up soon after I start mowing and starts clumping again. I stuck a piece of cedar shingle under the chute to lift it up another 1" to 1.5" and that has helped but it still does it. I mow in the late afternoon every 5 to 7 days and wait for a sunny day to mow. It wouldn't bother me so bad if it didn't cause it to stall out sometimes because it gets so clogged. I realize this time of year in my area we get a lot of rain and sun so the grass grows really fast. Other than mowing every 3 to 5 days instead of 5 to 7 is there anything I can try?

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I wasn't the one you talked to, but I was in the room when you called in, they will get you taken care of for sure, really great dealer.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Wet grass is the problem most likely, but check your deck belt tension also and try to cut when it is as dry as possible.

7. huntw11871

from NC

I talk to dan and we got the deck questions answered. I am going to try some different blades also. He told me to drop the mower off when I can to check it out. He told me I was talking to Ed, I thought I was talking to you but from the sounds of it all of you guys know what you are talking about and want to help any way that you can. Thanks you very much.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Eddie and Dan are top notch, Right of Way is a top notch dealer, you will be taken care of.

9. tnchome

tnchome LawnSite Member

I have a mini z 52in as well. clumping / buildup is a problem. Using the 787721 high lift blades did help. I also spray deck with fluid flim this also has helped. The problem is not gone and has troubled me from day one. Besides frequent cut on very dry days i have no other answer.

10. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I had this same problem with my mini 19/52. Anything thick or wet and it would just clump up. The dealer (which was very helpful) checked it over and found no problems but said that clumping will happen whenever you are cutting wet grass. I ended up selling it and bought a DC. I don't know if its the deck design or the few more horses but I have no problems cutting anything, wet or tall or thick. I'm not saying this to brag up DC but I think there is a deck design flaw with the mini. Other than that it was a great mower and I was disappointed to see it go.