grass clumps everywere

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pfeiff, May 23, 2004.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff LawnSite Member

Grass is growing crazy from all this rain, leaving grass clippings every were. What can i do to make the lawns look nice?

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

double cut them, use double blades, get there more then one time a week, bag em (eww)

3. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I'm not familiar with double blades,call me stupid but maybe we call them something different here But on my ztr I just raise the deck acouple of notches and go back over the clippings and clumps & they just disappear this is probably a solution that wouldn't cost you anymore $

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with TURF on this one, raise the mower a bit, then lower and double cut.

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep LawnSite Member

I was away for a week and wow, did my lawn grow. I first mowed at 3.25", then 3.00", the next day 2.75" twice, I will mow at 2.75" again in a few days.

I did all the mowing at the end of the day when the grass was dry.

BTW, I am using a 23HP 52" (Kawi) Lazer-Z HP with mulch kit and Gator blades.

-John

6. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes I have clumps when mowin wet grass, a little bit of blowing the clumps and clippings with your backpack blower usualy disperses the problem

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

couple of things to do; raise the deck, go a little slower, double cut, or bag the grass. Another thing to do is lawns that are really thick try to wait until later in the day for they can dry out from the morning dew

8. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

Double mow the lawn. First cut the lawn at your finished height
    and wait for the clippings to dry down a bit (i.e. do your trimming).
    Then go back over the lawn a second time with the deck of your
    mower raised 1/2 inch. This will get rid of the clumps and clippings.
    Try not to go over the clippings while they are wet. This mats them down and makes the clumps worse.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That is how I sometimes deal with it.