Grass Clumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowjeep, May 4, 2008.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 54" zero turn with a 23hp kawi and this spring it seems to be shooting out clumps of grass. I have changed blades a couple times did not help. Going slower makes no difference. I am using high lift blades and don't remember it doing this last spring. The only thing left I plan on checking is engine rpm. Also tried totally cleaning deck and spraying fluid film. Keeps deck cleaner but still clumps any ideas?

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You having a wet spring?? Around here, its been raining at least 2 good days a week so everything is growing crazy. Clumps seem to be taken care of by double cutting or hitting em real fast with the blower. Sucks but it really only adds about a max of 5 more minutes for me so I'll just deal with it until we start getting a little less rain.

3. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I had that problem with the Exmark Ultracut deck and honestly what changed it for me was getting another mower Exmark with the Triton deck. The triton will not clump period..
    You might want to try a medium lift blade and see if that helps

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

grass is just a little wet is all. Unfortunately though around here it seems like we are getting into that dry pattern we had last year.:cry: Get it mowed, do your string trimming and before you leave, run over it again. Give the clippings as long as you can to lay there and dry a little in the sun. Running back over it will cut them up and distribute them. If the clippings are wet, it won't do any good. As was said above, if they aren't REAL thick, just hit them with the blower.

5. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

corey where in TN are you located.. DRY ALREADY FOR YOU ???????????????

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a low lift or straight blades. We had a wet year last year and I made a set of straight blades for cutting wet grass. They really helped preventing buildup under the deck and clumps in the yard.

My mower is also a 23 HP Kaw. and 54" cut.

Nosmo

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I would say it's wet grass doing it. Mine cuts good in damp grass but if it rains (got caught in it last week) it will clump up.

8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

total I'm in southern middle tn along the alabama border. We've had some rain, but it is starting to get dry around here. Grass is getting a little brown in places.

9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We have said since we became a sponsor that the MEG MO blades did not lump or clump so keep on having troubles

10. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I'm having trouble with what is called "Hop Clover"----a four petaled base with a yellow flower right in the middle of the four petals --- stands about 6" high----hugh patches of the stuff

When I run over it with my 52" Snapper Pro----it'll put a "bind" on the engine governor and will clump up no matter the time of day---nor if there's dew on the grass or not

When I run over it with my 21"----it'll clump up under the mower deck(I have a mulch system with no side discharge)---and it'll sound like there's a rope wrapped up around the blade

Maybe thats it??? I don't remember having the problem last year---but yet last year we were slap in the middle of a drought---this year, its rained at least twice a week every week in April and March