Grass Collection System

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hossmp, Jun 1, 2007.

1. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if there is a dump from the seat grass collection system for a Ferris IS3000? I checked there website and all they have is a 2 and 3 bag unit that you have to get off and dump. I was looking for something similar to what you see on a grasshopper or dixie chopper. I have the brocure from when I purchased my machine and its shown there however the dealership doesnt seem to acknoledge that it was once available. I was curious if anyone knew if they still existed or if there was a aftermarket alternative?

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 from Hasty Vac (clamshell type units) on my 3000's. I bought and had then installed by my Ferris dealer. Believe they hold around 11 bushels and ran around $2600 I think installed. These have a separate B/S pony motor as well, not spindle driven. We love them in the Fall.

Hope that helps ya...

4. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to talk to the local dealer about some of the units mentioned and see if they can get any of them. Its ashame they did away with there spindle driven dump from the seat unit. I saw it and liked it when I picked the machine up. There was one there in for service with the unit on. I should have just bought it right then a year ago when they had them available.

5. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Rodfather, I called up the Hasty Vac people and they have one for the Ferris 3000 machines that is spindle driven they didnt mention one that had a pony motor. Do you think with your experience with there product that the spindle driven unit will be any good or would I best be suited asking about the pony motor model and if not available checking the Peco system out? Thanks again.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Ferris has a dfs system. It is basically the three bag system with a plastic hopper in place of the three bags.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know nothing about their spindle driven units, only the 3 I have currently with the side mounted pony motors. Over the years, I like having the separate motors...the expense is inconsequential IMO.

8. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies on this topic. Hey KLC99 or anyone for that matter do you know of any pictures of the catcher offered by Ferris thats mentioned that replaces the bags with a hopper? They dont show it on there website. I called the dealer back and questioned them some more and they said that I was correct there is something offered but they werent aware of it. That has me leary and thinking that it could be better to go with a HastyVac or the peco. They wanted 2400 for the unit and I am sure thats not installed I would do the install myself so I am familiar with how it all goes together.