grass coming up through mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ccas, Jun 2, 2006.

1. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

any ideas how to keep this from happening after the mulch has already been put down? will the grass under the mulch eventually die out?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Round-up. Eventually, if the mulch is thick enough, the Round-up will kill the existing grass, and the new grass/weeds won't have a chance to germinate.:)

3. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

the mulch is surrounding some pretty good size bushes. wouldnt the roundup hurt them?

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

As long as the Round-up doesn't get on any of the foliage of the shrubs, you'll be fine. If possible, cover them with trash bags or something because drift can be a killer. As soon as you're done with spraying, take the bags off.

Remember, Round-up does absolutely nothing to the soil. It attacks the plants by entering through the foliage. Good Luck:)

5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

The Round- Up is not good for the shrubs and will kill some depending on what the shrub is and how much Round-Up gets on them. If it's possible you can get a piece of cardboard or plastic and try to shield the shrubs when you spray . Try to spray on a day that is not windy. Another technique I have heard that works is to mix the Round-Up in a bucket and use a "Rag-type mop" and brush the Round-up on the weeds, but I have never tried that technique and wonder if it is really feasible. What kind of grass is coming up under the mulch ?

6. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

its just the grass that i just planted, Lesko starter. I put the mulch down after putting the seed down,

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

So you laid seed down, put down starter fertilizer, then mulched over it?? This is bark mulch we are talkng about, not a seed starter (Penn) mulch we are talking about, right??

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I did the same thing for a HOA ta few weeks ago. They were putting in a sprinkler system along their community center & in some islands. Then called me to overseed everything. I came back a week later to check up on it & someone had mulched over it?!?! Oh well, now I added that location to my bi-weekly landscape weed control tha tI do for them on all of their entrances.

9. ccas

ccas LawnSite Member

when i put the seed down i wasnt completely sure where we were going to put the mulch. these are some brand new bushes, rose of sharon, holly, and 2 othere kind i cant really think of, theyve only been in the ground for about a week. would it be better to dig them up and then use the round up?

10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Look in a good garden center. There are products that kill grass but not broadleafs or shrubs. That's your best bet. Digging up plants that have only been in the ground a short while is going to stress them a great deal. They might survive, but I doubt it.

Seems a little funny to me that RoundUp is the only option that gets mentioned on this forum. Why use a shotgun when you need a sniper rifle?