grass crazy long, brush hog?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowshreadr4ever, May 23, 2007.

1. snowshreadr4ever

snowshreadr4ever LawnSite Member

I had a call last week from a guy who now lives in florida. His lawn has not been cut all season, in some spots i measured it to be around 3 1/2 feet tall. With alot of fire damage to his house, it looks alot like a crack house in detroit. Anyway, my mower will not be able to cut down grass this tall. what are your rates for using a brush hog? The lawn is about 1.5 acres, and the grass is tall.

2. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

go demo the everride warrior the tunnal deck will let you cut it I would triple the cost tho.

3. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

I cut grass that was about that tall. It was waist high on me, and I'm 6'1". Anyways, rip through it once, and then rake it or collect it. (with the deck all the way up. You'll have a bunch of stringers still standing, but you'll get through it. I would figure out a price per cut on normal height, and then charge that price for every time you have to go over it. Or, you could rent a brush hog, bill it to the job, and charge $100/hour on top of it.

4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not bush hog it. If the house has a septic system instead of being on sewer, it is possible to break a septic tank lid with a tractor and end up in the tank.just start with your mower with the deck in the highest position possible and go slow. charge at least 4 times the going rate for a lawn cut to get it down to height. And if it is that tall its probably in really shabby shape, so sell him on a weed and feed application.

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Did one of these this week-cust wanted to convert former meadow to back lawn. Told him my rates were $75/First hour, $60/each additional hr or part of hr. It was about 1-1/2 acres, did it in about an hour and forty min ($135). Cust sees it then asks what do I do with the clippings? I say I can ted, rake, and roundbale it for $250.00 (I kind of was in a kiddin' mood). Get this he says do it! So I finished up today $385.00 richer, and my cows will have 5-500lb bales of pretty good orchardgrass/fescue/vetch hay to munch on this winter! That's what I call recycling.:cool2: :cool2:

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you really need the work that badly?

I'd get paid up front if I were you.