"Grass-cutter Gets Summons for $500"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kenp, Mar 20, 2003.

1. kenp

kenp LawnSite Member
    from SC

Thought you may be interested in this article on the front page of a small town South Carolina newspaper:

"Gaffney City Administrator James Taylor confirmed that a city employee recently issued a summons to a local man who was cutting grass in the municipal limits without a proper business license.

Taylor said, however, that neither he nor city employee Jody Brasington was aware that the man had undergone a liver transplant several years ago.

Following his surgery, he has been doing grass cutting and odd jobs, friends said. He was reportedly cutting grass on Johnson Street when Brasington, a fire department employee, stopped and asked for his business license. Taylor says that Brasington performs the business license checks during the weekends.

"We have a problem with unlicensed persons performing major jobs on the weekends," Taylor said. "They know our regular inspectors are not working."

Occasionally, Taylor said the entire staff of community development personnel will work weekends to limit such practices.

"The little businessman, it seems, got caught up in the large scope of things. All we want is for persons performing services to have a proper business license. It's not fair to those who buy licenses."

The fine for such a violation is $500. "However, we don't want the $500. That's just to insure that those people will buy a business license."

The man's business license under the municipal ordinance will be only $30, Taylor said. If he pays the $30, the $500 potential fine will be forgiven."
  2. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

Who cares?
  3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Who cares???You should if you are properly liscend.are you??????Probably not with a responce like that.
  4. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I'm legal all the way.But then again who cares?
  5. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

If I had a license in every township I worked in, it would be close to $1000's. Wait for them to catch you and pay the $50.
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

A license for every township? Whoa! I dont need a license for every city I work in. I just have to have a city and county license for my actual business.