1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Cutting Attire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Grass Master, Apr 11, 2006.

1. The Grass Master

The Grass Master LawnSite Member

Hi All, new to this site. Wanted to know what type of shirts and pants you guys wear while cutting grass in the hot summer heat. Read something on here about actually being cooler in long-sleeve shirts because the sun dosn't hit you. Been cutting grass small time for about 10 years, and now that I want to go full time I want buy the right gear. Are there any long-sleeve shirts or pants that are breathable and will protect me from the sun. Are there any clothing lines designed specifically for us landscapers who spend all day in the sun. Tired of getting baked up in the summer sun.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I cant stand long sleeves in hot weather..I don't care WHAT kind of material it is. I wear a short sleeved uniform (polo type) shirt. Cargo type shorts.
  3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome ! You don't need Land's End to get good uniforms.

Gotta admit that when it's blazin', Salvation Army Thrift Store khaki slacks, white shirts, big hats work great.

Add sunscreen to arms, shoulders, neck, ears, and wear sunglasses.

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried long sleeves last year and they do work. Get some of the long sleeve fishing shirts, they have UV Protectorant on them and are very breathable. They are alos a little spendy. All the Hispanics out here and I believe in most places always wear long sleeves and sometimes even sweatshirts. Look at the people in the Middle East, always completely covered. Look at the migrant farmers or pickers, always wearing long sleeves.
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

cargo shorts and company T's or sweatshirts.....
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

jock strap and sneakers
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

how bout a company photo..haahhahhhhahh your a very funny guy....
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If I were going to wear long sleeves and long pants I would go for the fishing gear in a lighter shade of color. But I am just not sure I could take it in our summers. I know that certain types of long sleeve white dress shirts are cooler than my exposed skin. But in this business you can't wear white and I doubt any other color would be as cool as short sleeves.

Personally, I wear polos or tees and cargo style shorts.
    Oddly, the type of polos I wear are cooler than the tees.
    They breathe better I guess.
  9. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Hawiian shirt, white shorts, black socks (pulled up), sandles, camera around my neck and a map.

10. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

and oh yeah, a fanny pack