Grass Cutting in Romney West Virginia ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by howardsells2000, Jun 22, 2008.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience cutting grass in the Romney WV area. I cut grass in Maryland for a few years. I was succesful and new what kind of equipment was needed for that area. Now I'm considering moving to Romney West Virginia. It's a small town, there are big beautiful homes, small average homes and junky houses and mobile homes with junk cars and fallen down trees covering the land. The land varies from flat to darn right mountain sides and everything in between. With gas costing so much and the way properties are spread out I'm thinking I will have to charge higher prices here but I think the average folks around here wont want to spend a lot of money on lawn care. I'm hoping someone in the area could share a little input and give me some sugestions or comments about what I should expect. I seem to see a lot of garden tractors being used by most of the home owner. I was thinking of getting some walk behind commercial mowers such as a 52" Ferriss dual hydro. What does everyone think. Will this mower be a good choose and will I be able to charge as much as I did in Middle River Md?

2. howardsells2000

Well it's been a while and haven't had one reply. Someone must live in West Virginia.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I could be wrong but as far as I know unlike Md's large sector of high income politicians and
    doctors and lawyers and bankers and basically folks living the high life in the fast lane,
    I believe WV likely consists a lot more of down to earth hard working folks such as miners and farmers.

I'm not saying WV folks aren't at least as smart as the guys in Md,
    but if this were my cup of tea I might start looking into getting used to
    a somewhat more laid back, country life style.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would not even attempt it. In the entire county (Hampshire) there are only 22,000 residents and less than 8,000 homes. As you mentioned above the homes are fairly well spread out over the whole county. Incomes are very low compared to where you live now. Median household income in 2005 was $35,000 a year. Where you live now is probably double that.

You may get lucky and get in with the right group of people there and do well. I don't know. But you would do well for yourself to throughly check the place out before moving there. The costs of living in MD are so high that it is difficult to move back once you've moved away.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You might do well to drive around the neighborhoods and see if can see any stripes in the lawns :laugh: I haven't been there in awhile, but I would trust Richard Martin's assessment. The only positive might be, a lot of people live out there and commute all the way to DC, so there would be some folks with more income and less time to mow the lawn.

I once thought of moving to a more rural area, but the reality is, you're better off staying where the money is. Northern VA, the average income is just over $100,000 with well over a million people in my immediate area.

6. howardsells2000

Thanks for your replies. I haven't moved there yet but I may end up doing so. My parents live there and they are getting old and need some help. The area is so different from what I'm used to. There is very little work there and it seems most people in that area are low income. They also seem to be pretty self sufficient. Everywhere I look I see old tractors, dump trucks and equipment.

Anyone else with information please feel free to add more comments.

Thanks
    Howard

7. loneryder

loneryder LawnSite Member

I've got a house 8 miles from Romney. I have to agree with some of the other assessments. Hampshire county is hurting right now. There's very little factory work and most of the guys out there are contractors that worked in NoVa during the housing boom. Now that's it's bust they are hurting. I don't see many landscaping services around there. Everybody does their property with those cheaper riding mowers. Check out the Berkely Springs area and the community called "The Woods". A lot of those homes are 2nd homes.

8. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Get a full size rider z and a walk behind for the hills. As with alot of Wv. people have to commute long distance to find work. You will find some people who want family time or not have the time to mow. Advertize and Good Luck. At least you will be living in one of the most beautiful areas east of the Mississippi and some of the best people on Earth. God Blessed West Virginia !

9. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

A friend of mine has a lawn service in Wv and he dont have many clients he goes to Va and Md to get most of his work. I have also ran into another lco from charlestown area he goes to Md to get work also and i see Wv plates in Va with trailers and mowing equipment all the time. I have been to Romney very nice place to live but i dont think there is much in the way of work out there. As stated before most do commute to Dc or Va but with all the money they spend in gas they have to do the work themselves.

10. howardsells2000

Thanks for the advise.