Grass Cutting Only LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Mar 24, 2005.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to hear from all the Lco's that only cut grass(at least90%). Many members on this site say it can't be done but I had one hell of a good season in 04 with my grass customers. Grass customers are plentiful in the market place and the guaranteed weekly income is nice. Any Lco's that couldn't survive with the grass side only?
  2. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

cutting is about 50% of our busi. with fert ,mulch, lanscape,prunning,and clean ups being the other half of our spring, summer and fall program with snow and ice removal being our real money maker
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I couldn't do it. MY break of top 5 services by percentage of sales
    1. mow/trim 49.9%
    2. snow removal 16.6%
    3. landscaping maintenance 7.5%
    4. fall clean up 7.2%
    5. landscaping installation 3.8%
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Cutting is 99% of our business. In fact, I just weeded out about 20 accounts that want trimming, bedwork, etc., and sold them off to another LCO. What little bit of other work we do,( shrub and tree trimming,flowerbed work, fertilizing) is all subcontracted out to friends of mine who do not cut grass as part of their operations. Works for us. :)

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Mowing is over 90% of my business, however this year I'm getting calls out the wazoo for mulch work. Not even calls really, I just start doing a job and 2 or 3 neighbors wander over (I think they are attracted to the smell of fresh mulch) and want estimates. And the higher the price goes, the more they want it done. If you price them right you can make a nice chunk of change.
  6. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

It would be nice to have 100% mowing accounts, but a few customers will ask for pinestraw or mulch.

Also this would depend on where you lived - Florida would get alot more mowing than New York

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

So far this year,

This is somewhat off on the lawncare area because my full service accounts get lawncare but the monies all get recorded under maintenance.

Also lawncare will pop in the fall as I count aeration under that heading.
    Landscape includes all hardscaping as well as mulch jobs.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I should have made clear, that this is from 2004
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

100% cutting only .... not to say that we don't throw mulch, plant shrubs & flowers but ONLY for regular customers .... which is based only monthly billing ... year round single cuts or installs... all else is subbed out
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

We are about 80% on the mowing side, the rest is mulching, fert, fall cleanups and aerations.

In 05 I hope it to be around 70% as I will start doing snow and ice removal.