grass dies over concreate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Mar 23, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

A lady had about 6 inches of soil over top of a concreate slab. The grass dies every year she said. she's added about 2 inches of scotts lawn soil to it and seeded it last year and the same thing happened... I though 4 inces of top soil she should be fine, but not in this case. I need some suggestions.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

the limestone in the concrete could be leaching out into the soil.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one time i had this lawn, it kept dying every year, it was driving me nuts, i checked down to about 4-5 inches, everything looked fine. then i had it, and just started digging, about 8-10 inches down i found what once was an old driveway, rocks, broken up concrete, that was my problem. i don't know if theres anything that can be done other than ripping out the concrete

4. jeff_0

from md

that is what i was thinking.... I guess the onlyway it dig it up...

5. PALANDSLAVER

PALANDSLAVER LawnSite Member

This the same problem we have had on a few of our lawns with shallow sewer lines and large drainage pipes. The problem kept happening every year when it got hot and dry. Try encouraging them to put(or let you to) in a small irrigation system and a timmer so it waters during the coolest hours of the day.

6. jeff_0

from md

she keeps the grass watered.. I really don't think it would help.. any other suggestions?

7. PALANDSLAVER

PALANDSLAVER LawnSite Member

Try conducting a cheap Ph test and try boosting it or lowering it according to what it needs.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

The concrete is acting as a big heat sink. Basically you are cooking the grass.

9. here's a novel idea trim it off the concrete!

10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Does the soil stay wet?I'd think that concrete would create a barrier and not allow proper drainage.Maybe you could drill holes through the soil and all the way through the concrete to allow for better drainage.