1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass discharge help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Asikr, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Asikr

Asikr LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have been researching this issue with google for about a month now. I have tried doing searches in these forums, but have not been able to find related issues to what I am experiencing.

My wife and I own 2 acres in Iowa, and we purchased a 3 year old Huskee with a 46" deck (or 48", i'm not at home right now) from the previous owners of the house we bought.

I thought we invested smartly the first few times I mowed. Eventually the mower started struggling with cutting grass in 2nd gear.

Took the deck off, and it was just filled to the brim with grass clippings.

I replaced the blades, and cleaned the deck out to start from scratch. That night after I mowed, I checked the deck and it was filled (though not to the point of it's first cleaning).

I now have to clean out the deck everytime I mow :/ (note: This happens with the grass dry or wet)

The deck has 3 blades, non-mulching.

Is the build up from using a 3 blade deck? Is it a design flaw with Huskee's deck?
    If I switched to a 2 blade deck, would I still have this issue?

Thanks in advance!
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

1. How often are you cutting
    2. Amount Cut Off
    3. All maintenance up to date; i.e. blades sharp, belts @ proper tension, motor tuned up & good fluids

Just some things to start with.
  3. Asikr

Asikr LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

1. Once a week
    2. Depends on rain amount. Anywhere between 2"-10" (sometimes more)
    3. Blades: New (Assume sharp?)
    Belts: How would I check "proper tension"? (the deck design around the drive belt for the deck is not my favorite. I know that the lower it goes, the more tension on the belt)
    Motor: runs great (big fan of b&s)
    Fluids: good, checked everytime before I mow

Thanks for the quick response carcrz!
  4. carcrz

10"? Holy cow! I thought we were getting a lot of rain this year. I guess in that case, just cut as high as possible & work your way down to a reasonable height w/ multiple cuts.

As for tension, you might be able to track down a manual online to see the proper procedure for tightening the tension spring. If not, check w/ a local dealer.

I'm surprised Dano hasn't chimed in yet, but you could try Fluid Film. One of its uses is for mower decks & helps grass from sticking. It also prevents rust.
  5. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

you are taking too much off each cut!! There is a old rule of not taking off more than 1/3 at a time. Example 6" lawn should be cut no lower than 4". Try to cut the lawn higher...better for mower & lawn.
  6. carcrz

This is a side-discharge deck, correct?
  7. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Clean under deck throughly, Apply a product called Fluid Film. It's a lanolin based coating that does wonders in keeping grass from stickin. Until you can get some you might try spraying well with Pam(cooking spray), although I doubt that it will last as long as the Fluid Film.
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Had a Murray that did this. After scraping the deck clean, I would use a rag to rub a thin layer of grease on the underside of the deck. Did not stop the build up, but then it took very little effort to scrape it the next time.

Also, maybe try some gators or high lift blades for the Huskee.

Also, if you had rain and can find a puddle as big as the deck, park over the puddle, engage the blades, and slowly lower the deck toward the water. Three minutes in the spray should clean it good. Only thing is, if your seals are not good on the lower spindle bearings, you could lose all spindle bearings. If I was sick of scraping, I looked for a puddle. Seems like I never had a problem with the bearings.
  9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe it took me so long to post here! :hammerhead:

Yes, try Fluid Film! It contains no solvents so it will never get gummy or tacky. It retains a super slick coating that will imbed into the pores of metal and ease grass build-up.

If you haven't tried it and live within the Continental United States, just PM me with a physical shipping address and I'll get one right out to you.
  10. Asikr

Asikr LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Thank you for all of your responses!

It appears there's an answer other than buying a new mower :)

Height of the cut: I unfortunately can't any higher than I already am. I am using the highest setting, and the deck is not adjustable (that I can find, other than just leveling).

With this Huskee mower, you engage the deck and set the height at the same time. (Lever on the right side).

I live out in the country and I am still amazed at how fast this damn grass is growing.

Cleaning: I have tried using water (spray nozzel) and it's just too caked on. I found a garden trowel (example: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=57754-000076908-PC601&lpage=none)

The trowel works good, just time consuming.

Jay Ray -
    Would this cause the clippings to stay in the deck longer, producing accumulating within the deck quicker?

carcrz -

Fluid Film - Is this a spray? would I have to pre-treat and or immensly clean the underside of the deck for this to work?

Side note:
    The 2 blade deck vs. 3 blade, is there any difference in how these decks work with side discharge?

Thanks again all!