1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass for dry shady areas in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 10, 2004.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I live in a very wooded lot and my grass consist of fescue, creeping fescue, moss, and whatever has decided it can handle the conditions better than the grass I planted. Kentucky is very moist with year round rainfall but the trees seem to suck all the moisture out of the ground and it gets dusty during part of the year near the trees and the fescue, and creeping fescue seem to give way to weeds. No doubt it is very acidic soil so I have to add lime to it. Looking for a good low maintenece grass to sow next time I reseed. Some of the yard is moist, some is dry close to trees , part of it is partly shady and the front is heavy shade. I don't want to water if I can avoid it, we get 50+ inches per year. I have only been mowing for a year so I have alot to learn. My yard need to start looking as good as my cutomers. Thanks for any help.