1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass for Heavily Shaded Area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by poneal, Aug 19, 2004.

1. poneal

poneal LawnSite Member

I live in Missouri and have a heavily shaded area in my front yard. The area gets virtually no shade. Any suggestions as to what type of grass I should seed.
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Heavily shaded area that gets virtually no shade???? Just kidding. First few posts can be intimadating. Tell us more about the site. Tree types, soil type, have you a soil test......and maybe we can help.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Sounds like your best option would be a type of St. Augustine, but I would highly suggest doing some trimming to the trees that aren't allowing the sun through. Any grass needs some sun to live, and more to thrive. Leg up those tress, hire someone if you need to, but get it done. Then sod with a hardy St. Aug grass and you should be golden.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what kind of st augustine can handle nearly no light. even the high shade ones that we use here in FL don't always make it under intense canopy. Second can you grow st augustine in missouri?

I agreewith elephantnest. If you really want grass you have to thin the trees. It is also good for the tree and you will have much less leaf pick up in fall.
  5. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Forget grass if the area gets no sun...go with Ground Covers or Landscape it.

I know of no grass that will grow well with no sun. St Augustine does better in shady areas than most...but, it doesn't like it, and will die out with no sun.

You can trim the trees to get some sun, but, unless you chop the trees down, it will still be shady. And they will just grow back later and you'll have the same problem again.

Ground cover or landscape it.
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i've had luck with perennial rye grass, but trimming the trees is a definite plus.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Have your soil tested for ph. I live in a forest and the soil is very acidic, the addition of lime will lower the acid and allow grass to grow better. If you have moss growing that is a good sign that it is very acidic soil. My front yard has almost no sun but ky 31 fescue will grow if you keep the ph right. Also trees sap moisture from the soil and you may have to water it more frequently. I am no expert but this is my opinion.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was thinking of a fescue as well
  9. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Creeping Red Fescue
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Along with thining the tree some this will probably be your best bet. You wil have to make sure the ph is right and that it gets at least 2-3 hours of sun a day. keep ground moisture at about an inch a week and you should be golden. Make sure you aerate once a year and over seed with creeping red fescue. Also maybe add som ky blue31 or other to make the turf more resiliant(sp) to abuse. creeping red fescue is very easily tore up by abuse.