Grass For SC Shade

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RAlmaroad, Dec 12, 2006.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Guys I know your sick of me! But, what would you suggest for under those huge Live Oaks in the yards. I sodded where a building once stood with St. Augustine as I'd read that it was OK for shade. However some of the trees only have a scant stand of centipede. Can you sow St. Augustinie grass? Thanks Roy

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. St Augustine and Centipede grasses will not compete, but rather grow with each other. This os from my expereince anyway. My grandfather had St. Augustine and Centipede grass in his yard for as long as I can remember. It always looked very good and stayed very thick.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

But, can you overseed with St. Augustine about May as with centipede?
    Roy

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

St Augustine seed is not available. Another shade tolerant grass is emerald zoysia. Although I have never really seen any type of grass thrive under an oak tree.

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

Lawnworks: I was hoping or just wishing that something would come along to make seed available. If seed is not available, then how is St. Augustine propigated? It has seeds pods. I hardly believe that all of those sod farms sprig those huge fields. I tried searchs for seeds and you're right--nothing. Strange situation. Roy

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

They must sprig it... at least to get it started. I think when they cut it out, they leave strips.... essentially sprigging everytime they cut it out.

7. RAlmaroad

from SC

I once worked a cutter in NC and to think of it, I do believe that they left a strip where it would knit back over. That's was a while back.
    Any other suggestion for getting a decent stand of grass around those Live Oaks. There's a well house under them also. Probably the best thing to do is to bed the area, but I hate to be defeated. Roy