grass gobbler question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gutpiles, Feb 17, 2008.

1. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

Before I tell my dealer to order me some for my snapper pros, can they be taken on and off easily? I need the chute on my 36" to flip up to fit through gates and I was wondering before I order a gobbler for it can I take it off easily to go through small openings??

2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

by an accellerator instead.

3. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

you didnt help at all- my question was "does a grass gobbler remove easily so I can fit through a fence." Im sure you love your accelerator. My dealer can get me a good deal on the gobblers........

4. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

yes the do remove easily, the plate is bolted to the mower and the shoot slides onto a pin and its own wait hold it on, hope this helps, i have one on my ferris , but i normally mulch saves time and disposal issues, karl

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, all you do is lift up and a little back on the catcher to remove it. Very easy!

But the 2nd post is right... The gobblers are HEAVY even empty, and once ytou get grass in them you better be in really good shape to lift it and carry it. I had one on a 36" lesco once and I hated it so much I bought a cloth catcher for it to replace the gobbler. Yes, the metal gobblers are pretty cheap, about HALF the price of the accelrator catchers, but the aluminium ones are also like 1/4 the weight...

What brand of mower do you have? I have seen a couple accelarator catchers for sale for Exmarks CHEAP ($75 for one of them) on this site in the "marketplace" forum.

6. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

I run all snapper pros... I'm suprised I don't see alot of people on here using them- they're built like tanks

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Grass Gobbler on an Exmark 36" hydro, fixed deck. It is nearly 10 years old. The bracket on the deck uses the same holes as the discharge deflector. Rather than use bolts, I use a long rod that goes through both holes, with a cotter pin on one end, a hitch pin on the other. This allows me to change from the chute deflector to the GG bracket.

The above description of removal is like mine works, pick up the rear (to remove a pin sitting in an open channel), pull backwards an inch or so (to remove a pin from an oversized hole in the front of the bracket), and lift it off. When I am going through a gate, I often remove it with one hand -- pull up on the rear, leveraging the rear of the catcher against my knee, and then rest it on the ground. I carry it through the gate with two hands, and remount on the other side.

I agree with the comments regarding weight. I disagree with comments in other threads regarding rusting out in a year or two. Mine has been used extensively for many seasons. I have it under cover during the Winter off-season, but when the season begins it is left outside on the trailer, or on the driveway. I do have a few places along the bottom that has rusted away along the welded seam, but nothing that will prevent me from starting another season.

I did buy a cloth bagger, with the large back plate. I used it for a couple of season, but have parked it, except for extensive bagging jobs. I bought it because of the weight issue. No question, the removable cloth piece is lighter. But, it means that I need to handle two pieces in transport (trailering arrangement requires that nothing be on the discharge side of the w/b). Usually, my bagging jobs are eight baggers, or less. The time and hassle of dealing with two pieces, especially the heavy backer plate that is not easy to put on the trailer, is not worth it. The GG sits on its end in the trailer, I pull it off and slip it onto the bracket -- much quicker than mounting the backer plate, and then the cloth bag itself.

As I said earlier, if I have a large bagging job, with many bags, then I will use the cloth bag. The lighter cloth bag becomes useful, in contrast with the time to fiddle with the backer plate. My crossover point is about eight bags. Sometimes I have 14-16 baggers for a particular property.

Yes, I would like to have a lightweight aluminum bagger. But, I already have two, and I just don't want to find a place for a third one. I only use the bagger a few times each week, not all the time.

If the on/off procedure isn't clear, PM me with an e-mail and I'll shoot some pics and send. I scanned all my images and have some that show bits and pieces, but aren't specifically focused on the attachment.

While I'm on the topic, I am considering using the GG on my John Deere Z-Trak for very limited use (2X per week). I have been given information about a bracket available for the 7 Iron II deck. If anybody has an pics of a GG on a 7 Iron II deck (48" wide), I would like to see them. Or, if anybody has ANY pics of another bagger being used on a 7 Iron II deck (48" deck), such as Accelerator, GrassPacker, let me know.