1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass gobbler with scag prob....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, May 14, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" scag wb with the jumbo grass gobbler catcher on it. I used the mounting bracket that they gave me with the grass gobbler, because the original one did not fit. The problem I am having is that it seems like the catcher is sitting too low. A matter a fact it IS sitting to low, it dargs along the grass with every pass, and if you are on any sort of incline, forget it. Is there anything i can do the raise the catch up? Or any other ideas?
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with the Scag that I have now. I just try to bag as least as possible. I really don't think there is anything I can do to fix the problem. I'm giving a guy a quote today on another Scag ( 99 52" Scag SWZ w/ 17hp Kaw.) so that I can seel the one I have now. I took the Scag out for a demo and man that thing is much faster than mine, cuts a lot better, and throws the grass a lot fartewhher. It also has a Grass CatcHERR on it. Works excellent in tall grass. Hopefully I get it now :D
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to buy a Scag bagger and your problem will go away.

4. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was kinda thinkin that.......lol
  5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I welded a piece of metal on bottom of bagger where is sits against the fram of the scag. This helped alot and is higher than the grass. Worked awesome for me.
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Do what rob said. This is a problem that has been with the aftermarket baggers forever. Tak a piece of angle and weld it to the bottom of the bagger plate so that it holds it in place. Actually you want it angled up about 1/2 inch to compensate for weight. As far as buying a Scag bagger... even me, die hard Scag fan would not buy their bagger (I don't bag) the reason is it just plain costs too much and it isn't any better than any other.