1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Going Dormant

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, May 19, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You can tell by looking at this grass mowing is becoming very slow in my area. We are getting in very bad need of rain. You can even see the corn rolling up in places from lack of water.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 002.jpg
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

My area is in the same boat as ya'll. Need some rain BAD!!
  3. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I wish we could send some your way. Your corn sure is ahead of ours as ours is only 2-3" high.
  4. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

gonna be a bigtime drought year I think. Never seen a dry may in my life in Illinois until this year.
  5. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

send some rain to me also
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This corn should be waste high, all my land has been 100% no till for 20 years and I have been using poultry litter for over 40 years. You know the land is highly productive but we have had no water since it was planted, well we had 2 or 3 tenths a couple of times, enough to activate the premerge chemicals.
  7. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You need some of these.....

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First sign of a slow down I raise my blades to 3.25" on the Wb, 3.625" (between 3.5 and 3.75) on the Z.
    The Z stays there, but the Wb I might take it up to 3.5" yet.

Less weeds, less heat stress issues, the grass gets cut like it should be getting cut, and as a bonus, less scalping.

Slow, but rain we got in va, bit sporadic but on track.
  10. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Sure wish we could have givin you some from last week. Last week I think we had 6-7 inches, not counting the 2-3 from the week before. Wetest May we have ever seen here. Out of the 180+ properties, we mowed 5.....YEH a total of 5 last week. Needless to say we worked 6 11-12 hour days this week to get caught up.

Just too bad it can't be spread out. Last year we had one of the driest ever.

Good luck.