Grass growing in Hostas

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Sep 28, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

What can I use to kill off grass that's growing in my Hostas?

I know I could just pull it all, but some of the areas the grass is growing thicker than the lawn itself.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Dig out the Hostas. Clean out the bed & replace the Hostas this time using mulch & timely & diligent use of pre-emergent herbicides. Use caution when overseeding. Ryegrass in beds is a pain.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

put a cloth glove on over a rubber glove and dip your hand in roundup........wipe the grass with the pure round up!

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wait until hostas fade this fall. When leaves are all yellow/brown, spray the grass with Roundup. Grass usually is still active for 2-3 weeks after hostas are finished for the year. If it is that heavy with grass, you may want to cut back the hostas before spraying, to make sure all grass is hit.

I have even gone out on an unusually warm day in February and successfully killed grass in perennial beds with Roundup.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya, the grass is that heavy. It's a bank I picked up last year and I don't think anyone ever weeded the property in the previous 6 years it was in existence. Basically the yard has grown into the planting area, so it's like they planted hostas in the grass.

The pre-emergence, that'll only work once I get rid of the established grass, correct? I cannont wait until next spring, since the grass won't be coming up from seed.

I suppose I'll have to go put some work into it. :)

Thanks for the help!