grass grows faster when cut wet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 clowns mowing, Aug 6, 2006.

1. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

does grass grow faster when cut wet or dry?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The cutting of grass has nothing to do with how fast it grows...It isn't like a mans beard or anything like that...

3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Not really sure, maybe a tiny bit faster when wet because the waters already there for the recovery and growth after the trauma of cutting, if this is one of those trick questions, i would say wet.

This is a funny subject as i thought you should not mow when wet, now i have been told by one of the top turf experts it can be better as the grass is more softer and gives a better cut than dry ( i am talking cylinder mowers here) the only thing is you have to adjust the deflector so it nearly touching the cylinder and it throws the grass cleanly into the catcher, and to think over the years how many times i thought you could not mow in the rain.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Does you hair grow faster when the barber wets it down when cutting it?

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

What are ya trying to do ruin my freakin life?!! LOL! I'm bald, and o.k. with that. But if there is something out there that spurs on hair growth (like cutting wet LOL!) don't hold out on me SK :laugh:

6. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

yea i also heard that it is better to cut the grass when it has some moisture not neccesarily soaking wet or anything.

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm there with you...I was asking because I have no idea what happens when hair is wet;) when it is cut. I mostly get the shoeshine buff on top...

8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

yes they say its better on your blades to, than cutting hard and dry grass not really sure if its true but its possible.

9. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I thought they said cutting wet grass dulled the blades?

10. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replys on this subject:rolleyes: