Grass growth...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 22, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Will grass grow the same amount each week regardless of the height it is cut at?

2. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a real answer, but as for the extreme, if you cut it very short you'll put a lot of stress on the turf if it's not heavily maintained or the right grass for cutting short. Hence, turf will grow slower if it's under a lot of stress... but of course that's not a good thing.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Chris.

I'm just wondering at what height does the grass start to slow down? Will a lawn cut a 4.5" have the same amount of growth of a lawn cut at 3"?

4. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience, during the growing season how often you cut seems to dictate how fast the turf grows (in addition to fertilizer, irrigation, and general condition of the turf).

On our parish campus, we're cutting the front 2-3 times a week. Bluegrass, ryegrass, and some fescue. (Blades are sharpened every Monday)

But as for the actual height you cut, I'm not sure if 3" vs 4.5" makes a difference if the fertilizer, irrigation, and general condition of the soil are the same.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

somwhere I heard or read that the longer the grass gets the slower it grows....I have no idea if its true or not

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Turfgrasses typically do not grow slower as their height increases. However, once a certain height is reached, and that is dependent upon the actual species of turf, the turf may actually stop growing.
    For our purposes as turf managers, at the effective height of cut we utilize, for all practical purposes, the amount of aerial growth is same between 3 - 4.5 inches.
    Also, certain varieties of turfgrasses within the same species can exhibit different growth characteristics and different terminal heights.
    As far as turfgrasses growing the same amount each week, that depends upon many, many variables remaining the same.