1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grass handling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clcare, Apr 3, 2005.

1. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions for handling clippings from walkers, I just got 2 walkers and until now we just discharged clippings. Any suggestions will be helpful.
    Thanks for your help.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do what TG does in US put them in bags and throw the bags in the back of the F350 and take them back to the trash haulers they rent.
  3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Just curious why you are now collecting? I use walkers also and use side discharge decks for the summer months. If you are bagging because you have to, either put clippings in bags and leave for customers hauler or put clippings in truck or trailer and haul away. Walker makes a canvas bag that you can dump into and lift into you truck. If you are collecting because you don't have a side discharge deck Walker makes an attachment that allows you to mow with the hopper still on the mower.
  4. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I'm bagging now because residents of my 500 townhomes requested for spring and fall, lifting clippings in a bag from 9.5 bushel ghs into a pickup is not an option I was just curious about mechanical methods other than the obvious. EG; high lift, ramp to truck bed and dumping on a tarp.
  5. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

purchase a truck loader
  6. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We run a ZT-125 Bob-Cat (looks like the Walker) and bag everything. When the hopper is full we pull the grass out drop it into plastic trash cans with plastic bags. With the the hopper full it will fill 2 plastic bags. We end up each day with about 20 bags. We have a 3 yard dumpster and in they go at the end of the day. We get dumped (dumpster) 3 times a week.
  7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Ok, the residents requested it, but why? I use gators on my Walker and blow out the back. Not the deflector, just bungee the door open and blow out the back. And of coarse I'm carfull not to turn and blow into the beds. Works great for me.
    Are you full service? Do you mow often enough? What's missing here? or is it thier pecieved notion that grass has to be bagged? Is the place irrigated? clippings return a lot of water. do you fert? You (they) can save one fert app per year if you discharge.
    Do they just not like tracking into their homes a few clippings after they walk on the grass? Enquiring minds want to know. You can see there are many variables here right? :) AS #5 said "more input" :)
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

All seasons lift and walker both have lift dump systems to let the walker dump into the back of your truck. Some day I will have a walker for my own lawn and thats all it would be used one. (well its a nice dream) I would put the lift system to dump into the truck.