grass has brown tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mickpeg, Jul 5, 2003.

1. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

We have a lawn that we installed a year ago and the tips of the grass are turning light brown. We have had very little rain over the past two weeks but none of our other lawns have this problem. Any ideas.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u dont by any chance let u helper mow this one while u round up the rest o the men an machines,at the days end, do u.:) one other thing . a soil sample mite
    reveal the problem. if that dont tell u nothin . u better mow thisun u self.
    or else give the helper a bud before
    he has to mow this one.mite slow him dn some.jmo
  3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Who's mowing the lawn? Whoever it is, make sure the blades are sharp...a dull blade will stretch and rip off the grass end which can cause that type of problem...a sharpened blade will cut a clean, smooth surface...:blob3:
  4. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

do ya sharpin your blades after a long day of cuttin. It be a good idea i'f ya did. how do you sharpin your blades?your angle? this all matters. at the end of the day, instead of puttin mine through a grinder(unless you got a good one abour 3 or 4 hundred dollars one) I'd use a good file and do it the old fasioned way. it takes me no more than 5 minutes on each bladde and it's razor sharp. I've got the same angle all the way through and keep it on a 24 degree slop. Hope this helpes. your cut faster, less clippings, your customers will be happier and you won't haft to tell them that the reason why is that you haven't sharped your blades lately. hope this helpes.

Richard Coffman/Owner
    Special Touch Land Care.:D
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

could be melting out, dollar spot, &/or brown patch.