1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass has halted here in the burgh!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Aug 14, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

The grass has stopped here in Pittsburgh.

We need some rain.

I know that some will say seasonal contracts, but my customers will be ex-customers if I tried that.

I guess August is my best time to go on vacation.

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

This year was going pretty good, thought we would go all year with no drought. Then just last week everything seemed to just stop growing. Skipped way to many lawns.:cry: Only two weeks away from september and things should pick up again. This year is flying by.
  3. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

Amen to the need for some rain....we got a tease down here where I am tonight...but not nearly enough
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

yep, the lawns started to slow up last week, but we are getting some rain here tonight. i can't say we are complaining though, it's been a busy year and we are now trying to get caught up on all the extra work besides mowing. Matt did a landscape tear out today, and he has a boatload of hedges that still need done. by then, it will be september again, and with cooler temps, the grass will take off again.:dizzy:
  5. Grass hasn't slowed here in SW Ohio. It started to slow this week then we got rain last night. The front is over PA this morning. So maybe you'll get some rain from it.
    I've had an August when I didn't leave the house. Same thing happened once in June. I just can't count on having any particular month as a slow month.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The storm that came through last night dumped 1.55" in my rain guage. But, I think it is too late, dormancy has already been established. We now need several days of some rain and cooler temps to bring it back. Up until last week, I think the turf was on the border, nearly ready to retreat but then we did get enough rain to keep it going. But, the lack of rain the past two weeks has pushed it over the edge.

Yesterday was a bummer -- drove by four that did not get mowed. Yes, worked four hours on a bush trim job, but had set aside time on Saturday for that work. Today looks to be another lack-luster mowing day, but have a hill trim job to fill most of that lost time. We certainly reached further into the Summer this season for full-time mowing than last season, but I am afraid we have "hit the wall" now.
  7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we finally got some rain too.. theres lawns i havent touched in weeks... but this time last year we were skipping everything so i cannot complain.
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

It has slowed here in Columbus. I am cutting every 10 days right now. Doing hedges the rest of the week. Like you we got some rain last night but not enough.