Grass height

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shastanova, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Shastanova

Shastanova LawnSite Member

I know cutting grass too short on St augustine can kill it but is their anything wrong with letting it grow longer? Cause some of my customers dont want me cutting under 4" and it always looks bad when i get their the next time i cut it.

2. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

The grass should eventually get trained at that hieght and grow in thicker. It just takes a couple of months to see the really good results

3. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

I cut St. Augustine at 4in sometimes 4.5in in summer. Haven't had a complaint about it either.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think St. A looks SWEEEEEEET cut high. You need to cut every week during the growing season. Oh yea, sharpen your blades often to keep it looking healthy after each cut.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

knowing that cutting shorter is good for the root system I start out short.

Untill the dead of summer and the HEAT kills me I go up a notch.

No complaints yet.

I start out on a 3, then go to a 4

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I think maybe you misunderstood.

Not cutting too low, but right when the season starts. "Provided you scalped"

the grass should be at a shorter hight. I try to keep this "shorter hight" as long as passable, It really helps to thicken up the lawn, in Texas we can only get away with that for a few short months, before the heat gets us and we have to raise the mowers up to a 3" and then towards the latter part of the season we have to go to a 4"

of course it depends on the lawn, not all my accounts have owners that water when they should.

In Texas when it reaches 100-110 in the shade and no one waters it don't take long for a yard to become dead, along with the person cutting the grass.

It just depends on the customer.

Not all methods work for all lawns, and customers.