1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass Hopper Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agriforestry, May 15, 2008.

1. agriforestry

agriforestry LawnSite Member

Anyone have any opinions on the grasshopper lawn mowers? I looked at it and the exmark and bought a grasshopper. I love it. It had a few features I really liked.

That being said, I value you guys opinion since you are the real pro's. I dont read much on here about them so I wanted to get your honest opinions.

thanks in advance.
  2. montiac30

montiac30 LawnSite Member

I love mine so far.What model did you get?Every LCO around hear uses them.
  3. agriforestry

I really love mine as well. I sat on lots of them and I can honestly tell you it was the most comfortable of all. The guy I purchased mine from had a steep hill to climb and I climbed it on both the grass hopper and the exmark. The exmark got real light in the front and felt like it wanted to tip over backwards where as the grass hopper hugged" the hill much better.

I got the 223 model and so far have been very pleased with it. I just really wanted to know what others thought about them since you don't see many posts on here about them.
  4. zapper

zapper LawnSite Member

I've Love mine also. I really like the front mount with the autolift deck. So easy to clean the deck and remove the blades. So much more fun to operate than a conventional riding mower. No complaints and highly reccommend them.
  5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a Grasshopper this past winter and liked it. The dealer that I talked to was very high on the prices. There aren't alot of them around here. I think Grasshopper would be my second choice if I had to buy a mower other than my Scags.
  6. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

I highly recommend Grasshopper.

We now have a "fleet" of 3 Grasshopper outfronts.

Our first two have provided a combined 25 years
    (12,000 hours) of service, and still run/mow great!

The liquid-cooled Kubota engines are awesomely
    reliable and very fuel efficient (about 1 gal/hr for the gas,
    and a little over 1/2 gal/hr for the diesel).

Yes, the electric-lift "powerfold" deck is sweet.

These machines are so durable, that if you can find a good deal on a used one, it can still run like new and provide many years of service.

I just picked up a used 722D Diesel with less than 800 hours for about one third the cost of a new one.

7. Twister Turf Man

Twister Turf Man LawnSite Member

I have been wondering about those as well. Not many around here, but I have seen one or two. I would consider one for my biz. I will have to try one out.
  8. agriforestry

Im glad to hear the good comments about grasshopper mowers. It seems like all I read about on here are the other mowers on the market with little talk of grasshoppers which was starting to make me doubt my purchase regardless of how much i love it.

Please guys keep the good comments coming in. I would like to hear them and im sure the other grasshopper owners would also.

Thanks in advance
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I liked my fleet of Grasshoppers so well, that I became a dealer for them. Our shop often services Grasshoppers that are 20 years old, and still going strong.
  10. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

can you give me some advice on my 718, the hydros on them a sorta loud not too bad but slow. and i just am really worried about them going out, the mower has 4500 hrs on it and just had two new heads put on the engine. can i get them rebuilt and how much does that cost or can i do it myself