1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grass ID/How to repair/where to start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TierOneLawnCare, May 26, 2007.

1. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Ive got a problem, I live in FL and need some help with a Grass Identification, and what to do to repair the grass. I almost hired someone, but I figures I would give it one more whirl.....I have 2 large oak trees in the front yard and the grass is extremly thin in those areas, But if you can Tell me what kind of grass this is and where you would start...I would apperciate it....

I dont know how to post pics, but if you could send me your e-mail and I can send you the pictures...Sorry

Thanks in Advance
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  3. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Very few lawns are of one variety. I recommend you go to a garden shop, tell them your problem, and they'll be happy to sell you some grass seed. They'll even tell you how to plant it and water it. Get some hay to spread around too, after you plant.

If you really want to guarantee success, cut the two oaks down. :)
  4. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Here are the pics

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

that's Grass ?

looks like weeds to me.... 2 options, sod, resead,,,

I recomand sod
  6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I've sent you a PM on this. Hope it gets you started.
  7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Oh, that's grass alright. Crabgrass. I don't think you can buy that at homedepot.
    With the advent of the internet, I am sure someone somewhere has crabgrass seed for sale.

I would round up the entire yard, spend a day with your new friends two weeks later: Peat moss, top soil and grass seed.