Grass Identification?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by NEwhere1, Aug 10, 2012.

1. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

Can anyone identify this grass, i suspect it's some type of crabgrass....I have a front lawn that is primarily weeds/crabgrass some bermuda here and there and then i have patches of the grass pictured below. I don't have irrigation nor do i want it for front yard (the water bill would be too much).

I have bare areas where nothing will/has grown, and am considering transplanting some of this grass because it does well with no irrigation and looks better than the rest of the yard....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    where i sprayed it with roundup as it was trying to take over the street
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the patches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh and please excuse the dull lawn mower blade....

2. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

3. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

4. battbrad

battbrad LawnSite Member

Not so sure about the pictures of the pulled plants, but the growing grass pictures looks just like my centipede when it's in bad need of mowing.

Brad

5. NEwhere1

NEwhere1 LawnSite Member

I was mowing as i was taking the pictures:laugh: I'm so sick of my front yard, parts are full of crabgrass and that stuff can grow 6-8" in a few days if we're getting good rainfall.

I'm glad it's Centipede, that means i can buy a few pallets in a month or two and put it down in the bare spots. At least I know once it is established it can survive in my yard without irrigation (and still look decent).

How low do you mow your centipede?

6. battbrad

battbrad LawnSite Member

I mow centipede at 2". Not sure if that's the best height, since this is only my 2nd year on the oldest. I planted more this year, but it hasn't completely filled in yet. Plan to plant another 10K sq ft next year.

Wouldn't there be a winter-kill concern on centipede sod installed in the fall in your area?